Blackboard Shared Services
Semester Setup Checklist
Below is the information to share with UHV Library and UHV student workers and lab assistants who are responsible for updating the software on lab computers (including the UHV Katy location, so please share this information with the appropriate contacts for these locations).
Users Who Report Issues Using a Specific Browser
- For those students (or faculty) who report issues using a specific browser, please have them try setting the browser to “Safe Mode” to see if this resolves the issue. If it does, this is usually an indication that they have inadvertently installed a browser add-on that is causing compatibility issues with Blackboard. If they don’t know which add-on to remove, they can use a different browser.
- Blackboard recommends using a different web browser if issues occur in one particular browser. So, for example, if the student or instructor encounters an issue using Internet Explorer, Blackboard recommends they log out, close Internet Explorer, launch another browser (like FireFox or Google Chrome), and repeat the steps. If the user is still experiencing a problem, they can click on the Test your Browser button. A “Browser Checker” page appears depicting any incompatibility issues.
Check Status of Blackboard:
- To check the status of the Blackboard system, users can visit the UH Main Campus Blackboard Availability Dashboard at http://www.uh.edu/infotech/about/performance/dashboard/ and click on the Blackboard and Training Systems option.
Compatible Blackboard Browsers & Operating Systems:
- For a specific list of compatible operating systems and web browsers for the Blackboard environment, please refer to: https://help.blackboard.com/Learn/Student/Getting_Started/Browser_Support
Respondus LockDown Browser for Lab Computers:
- The latest version of the Respondus LockDown Browser for lab computers is V. 2.0.2.03 July 12, 2017 (Lab). Note that this will change and be updated as the Respondus vendor provides additional releases. UHV does not control when these versions of the Respondus LockDown Browser software are released to customers or clients.
Important UHV Semester Blackboard Dates:
The UHV Fall 2017 semester begins Monday, August 28, 2017. Please review the important Fall 2017 semester information below regarding the UHV Blackboard system.
- Tuesday, August 22, 2017: first day new students registered for Blackboard online courses for the regular & 8W1 terms can log into Blackboard
- Monday, August 28, 2017: first day students can access Blackboard online course information for the regular & 8W1 terms
- Tuesday, October 17, 2017: first day new students registered for Blackboard online courses for the 8W2 term can log into Blackboard
- Monday, October 23, 2017: first day students can access Blackboard online course information for the 8W2 term
- Not sure if you are registered for a regular, 8W1, or 8W2 term course...check the UHV course offerings page and search for your specific course to find out
- To resolve issues, confirm you're successfully registered for a Blackboard online course, you're accessing information on the correct date (see above), you've changed your pre-expired password, and you've tested your browser; check with your Online Support Technician for help and assistance
- For information regarding course evaluations, please visit the UHV course evaluations website.
Blackboard Recommends Installing more than one Web Browser:
- Use Google or Bing to search for and install FireFox and Google Chrome browsers on the computer
- When a Blackboard issue occurs in one browser, log out of that browser and close that browser, and launch a different browser and repeat the steps
- If issues still occur, have the user test their browser, confirm they are using a supported browser, and/or have them contact their UHV Online Support Technician for additional help and assistance
Logging into Blackboard:
- UHV Login available via the UHV-hosted Blackboard site at http://www.uhv.edu/elearning/
- Direct URL to access Blackboard from the server located in Houston, Texas (when the above website is not responding) is https://elearning.uhv.edu/
Before Using Blackboard for the First Time:
- Test your browser and resolve any issues indicated on the "Browser Checker" page
- Confirm you are using one of the supported operating systems and approved web browsers
Required - Java JRE:
- Latest version available at http://www.java.com/en/ or http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
Required on Lab Computers - Respondus LockDown Browser Lab Version:
- Contact the UHV Computer Labs Supervisor for more information (you can call the UHV Help Desk at 361-570-4399 for more information)
Troubleshooting Respondus LockDown Browser:
- Launch the Respondus LockDown Browser (RLDB) application and click on the Help Center? icon that appears in the top, left menu area.
- Click on the Run System Check button.
- Wait for the system check results to complete for: (1) Bandwidth Test, (2) Latency Test, (3) Ports Check, (4) Flash Check, (5) Web Cam (optional) and (6) Microphone (optional). A green check should appear for all items.
- If there was an error or issue with Bandwidth, Latency, or Ports, the student will need to switch to a different wireless connection or stop using a wireless connection and switch to a wired connection and complete the steps above until there are no issues reported.
- Once no issues are reported, students can click the Return to Course button to log into the Blackboard system and complete the RLDB test or quiz.
- Confirm whether or not an upgrade is required for the RLDB application. Launch the RLDB application and click on the Information - Settings option (appears in the menu in the top toolbar as a small letter "i" surrounded by a circle). .
- Click the Check for Newer Version button. Confirm whether or not a new version is available. If a newer version is available, follow the procedures on the screen to download and install the latest version of the RLDB application.
- If a newer version of the RLDB for lab computers is available, contact UHV Computer Labs Supervisor for more information (you can call the UHV Help Desk at 361-570-4399 for more information).
Required - VideoLAN:
- VLC Media Player
Required - Adobe Shockwave Player:
Required - Adobe Flash Player:
Required - Adobe Reader:
Optional for Faculty/Instructor of Record - Respondus 4.0:
- Respondus 4.0 allows UHV faculty and adjuncts to create and manage exams that can be published to the Blackboard system. UHV faculty & adjuncts who may want to use the Respondus 4.0 product should contact their UHV Online Support Technician for more information. Download is available from http://www.uh.edu/infotech/downloads/ (contact UHV Online Support Technician for UHV Cougarnet account name and password)
UHV Blackboard FAQs:
Blackboard FAQs are available at http://www.uhv.edu/elearning/frequently-asked-questions/