RN to BSN Program Requirements
The RN to BSN online program is for ADN/diploma graduates from an institution accredited by one of the six recognized regional accrediting associations and a recognized national accrediting association. Registered nurse applicants licensed in the US who have completed an international nursing diploma program that is not affiliated to a university may not satisfy the Associate Degree requirement for admission to the University of Houston-Victoria RN to BSN program due to the non-academic nature of this type of coursework; contact an International Student Advisor for further information.
- Evidence of a current, unencumbered Texas or designated State Registered Nurse license and current CPR license.
- The applicant must have a minimum Science GPA of a 2.5 and a minimum ADN program of study GPA of a 2.0, no D or F grades and an overall GPA of 2.0 on all college hours attempted. Please see the list of lower level prerequisite courses listed below.
- Completion of Texas minimum State vaccine immunization requirements. To download Required Vaccinations for Students Enrolled in Health-related and Veterinary Courses in Institutions of Higher Education rules click here
- TB skin test within one year
- Tetanus-diptheria toxoid within the last 10 years *(Dtap) recommended
- Measles/Mumps/Rubella vaccinations(s)
- Seasonal Influenza
- Varicella vaccination(s):
- A blood titer indicating immunity or
- Verification of receipt of the Varicella immunization.
- Three-injection hepatitis B vaccination series or serologic confirmation of immunity to hepatitis B virus.
Requirements for Admission
- Students must satisfy all university requirements for a bachelor’s degree as found in the section UNIVERSITY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS of this catalog in addition to the program requirements below: UHV Catalog
- Lower Division:
- 3 semester hours of Statistics (may take psychology statistics or math statistics)
- 8 semester hours of Human Anatomy and Physiology
- 4 semester hours of Microbiology
- 3 semester hours of Chemistry or Physical Science
- 6 semester hours of Psychology (PSYC 2301 Introduction to Psychology, and PSYC 2314 Human Growth and Development)
- RN to BSN students will be given up to 36 semester hours of advanced placement credit for successful completion of Associate Degree in Nursing and subsequent RN licensure.
- Upper Division:
30 semester hours of Nursing core [Transition to the BSN Role, Introduction to Evidence-Based Practice, Foundations of Comprehensive Pathophysiology in Nursing, Leadership Roles, Comprehensive Health Assessment, Ethics in Healthcare, Population Focused Community Health, Healthcare Organizations and Informatics, Capstone Project, and Global Health Systems]
These requirements are summarized in the following page: RN to BSN Transfer Guide
Online RN to BSN students are expected to:
- Have access to a computer, webcam, and high-speed internet.
- Have basic computer and word processing competencies.
- Be familiar with the mission of this program and to comply with the expectations of them outlined in this catalog, new student orientation, and student handbook.
- Maintain high standards of academic honesty and ethical behavior as outlined in course syllabi and student handbook.
- Ensure that degree plan requirements are understood and contact advisor promptly to resolve any questions regarding enrollment.
- Comply with registration deadlines, financial aid deadlines, and tuition and fees deadlines.
- Ensure contact information such as address and e-mail address is kept current in their MyUHV self-service account.
- Apply for graduation by the published deadline for the semester in which student will complete degree requirements.
- Students in the RN to BSN program may repeat only one failed course (grade of “D” or “F”). A subsequent failure in any course will cause the student to be ineligible to progress in the program.
Requirements for Undergraduate Admission
Applicants to the RN to BSN program must meet all requirements for undergraduate admission as outlined in the ADMISSIONS section of this catalog. International students must have a minimum score of 89 on the TOFEL. Applicants must submit the following credentials to the Office of Admissions and Records:
- A completed application for undergraduate admission. Application for undergraduate admission (Apply Texas).
- An official transcript from EACH college or university attended, sent directly from each institution to UH-Victoria. (For timely and accurate processing, students should ensure that all official documents have been submitted prior to registration.)
- Applicants to the BSN program must have graduated from an accredited associate degree or diploma program.
- Applicants to the BSN program must provide evidence of current Texas or designated state RN licensure and current CPR certification.
- Applicants to the BSN program must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and a GPA of 2.5 in natural and behavioral sciences is expected.
- Applicants to the BSN program must have completed all prerequisite course work prior to enrolling in the program