The University of Houston-Victoria and the RN to BSN Nursing Program recommend students have the following (Minimum) Technology Requirements: PC or Mac not older than 3 years old is highly recommended Client Operating Systems:
- Microsoft® Windows® 10 (32 or 64 bit)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.10 or higher
Intel or Intel‐compatible Pentium 4 class 2 GHz processor or higher
Webcam 720p or higher
USB Headset microphone
USB Flash drive for data storage/transfer; 1 GB or higher recommended
At least 4GB of RAM
Hard Drive Space Requirements:
Minimum 10.0 GB of available disk space
A high-speed broadband Internet connection with 6Mbps or higher (DSL, cable, or better)
wireless not recommended when taking a test.
1024 × 768 or higher‐resolution monitor
Web Browser/ Software:
Check Your Browser:
Make sure your browser is up to date with the following BROWSER CHECK.
- Adobe Flash Player (Latest Stable Release)
- VLC media player. Download link for VLC
- Up-to-date anti-virus software (free or paid)
- Up-to-date anti-spyware software (free or paid)
- Compression (zip) utility software (free or paid)
- Microsoft Office Suite 2013 or higher (Office 360 version acceptable with Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
All students must have access to a computer and be proficient in word processing, email, file transfer, and literary searches. Registration is done by computer, all of the nursing courses in the RN to BSN program are on-line and departmental communications are all sent via the UHV and or the course e-mail server as appropriate. Specifically, the student must be able to:
- Access course and program material through MyUHV Online Services, Blackboard, and selected publishers sites.
- Use email and post assignments to course discussion forums and Dropbox.
- Complete, send and receive assignments to faculty or other students using email and attachments/files.
- Read/print email and attachments/files from students, staff, and faculty.
- Use the VC/UHV Library online services for research and completion of course assignments.
- Create and upload PowerPoint presentations.
- Use appropriate software for the course/department (standard Microsoft products include MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint).
- Submit word documents in the following file formats ONLY: .doc., docx., pdf.
- Use an appropriate anti-virus application to ensure the files transmitted and received are virus-free.
- Navigate and evaluate web sites.
- Purchase of broadband internet connection and home computer is recommended.
- While many students prefer the convenience of doing their course work on their own personal computer, computer access is available in other ways for students who do not own a computer. Victoria area residents may utilize the UHV Campus Computer Lab.
Students are required to regularly access, navigate, and utilize e-mail communication and the online course site. Failure to access messages, announcements, or assignments sent or posted via these modalities may jeopardize the student's progress in the course and does not constitute a viable excuse for failing to meet course requirements and expectations. Contact Support Request Blackboard Assistance Monday-Friday, as well as Blackboard Support.
Issues with UHV email, login, password, mobile devices, and other non-Blackboard technology contact Information Technology (IT), available by phone, 361-570-4399, by email at email@example.com, or through the support portal, if you need more help.
Hours are posted at the link above.
[Amended by NPFC 12/1/16]