Teacher Certification Specialization Requirements
Empower children through physical education to lead active and healthy lives. The Bachelors of Science in Kinesiology focuses on those preparing to get certified in EC-12 all level physical education.
To answer your questions:
Contact School of Education, Health Professions, and Human Development - Educator Preparation Office
Bachelor Science Degree in Kinesiology - Physical Education K-12 Degree Plan
Core Curriculum Requirement
10- Communication – 6 semester hours
- ENGL 1301 - Freshman Composition & Rhetoric 1
- ENGL 1302- Freshman Composition & Rhetoric 2
20- Mathematics – 3 semester hours
- MATH 1314 - College Algebra or Equivalent
30 – Life and Physical Sciences – 7 semester hours
- Biological, Anatomy or Physiology sciences preferred
- At least one science course must include a lab
40 – Language, Philosophy and Culture – 3 semester hours
- American Literature preferred
- Literature, Philosophy, or Cultural Studies
50 – Creative Arts – 3 semester hours
- ARTS, DRAM or MUSI
60 – American History – 6 semester hours
- HIST 1301 - U.S. History thru 1877
- HIST 1302 - U.S. History from 1877
70 – Government/Political Sciences– 6 semester hours
- PSCI 2305 - Federal and Texas state government
- PSCI 2306 - Federal and Texas state government
80 – Social and Behavioral Sciences – 3 semester hours
- ECON, GEOG, PSYC or SOCI
- World Geography preferred
90-Institutionally Designated Option – 6 semester hours
- SPCH - Fundamentals of Speech
- Computer proficiency less than 5 years ago
Other Lower Level Requirements – 24 semester hours
- KINE 1301 - Foundations of Kinesiology
- KINE 2310 - Lifetime Fitness and Wellness
- KINE 2311 - Motor Learning & Development
- KINE 2312 - Kinetic Anatomy
- KINE 3311 - Biomechanics of Sport and Exercise
- KINE 3312 - Physiology of Exercise
- KINE 3316 - Foundations of Exercise and Sports Psychology
- KINE 4316 - Measurement, Evaluation and Research in Kinesiology
Concentration Requirements – 15 semester hours
- KINE 3310 - Adapted Activities for Special Populations
- KINE 3327 - Individual and Dual Sports
- KINE 3328 - Team Sports
- KINE 4312 - Teaching Early Childhood and Elementary Physical Education
- KINE 4313 - Teaching Middle and High School Physical Education
Special Foundation I (Specialty Field Courses) – 15 semester hours
Choose one from the following plans:
- Plan A: 15 hours of Kinesiology courses: KINE 3313, KINE 3314, KINE 3321, KINE 3326, & KINE 4310
- Plan B: 15 hours of specialty field courses: Choose one specialty field from Life Sciences, Mathematics, History, English, etc.
Students must take all 15 credit hours from only one specialty field.
Faculty Advisor Approval MUST be obtained PRIOR TO registration of specialty field courses.
Special Foundation II (Teacher Education Program) – 27 semester hours
- CUIN 3323 - Instructional Design
- CUIN 3327 - Educational Technology
- CUIN 4313 - Secondary Teaching Strategies
- INDS 3323 - Child Development
- FEDU 3321 - Educational Foundations for Teaching
- KINE 4303 - Kinesiology Student Teaching
- KINE 4304 - Kinesiology Student Teaching
- LITY 4364 - Content Area Literacy and Study Skills
- s.h. = semester hours
- LD = Lower Division (Community College-Level: Freshman, 1000-level /Sophomore, 2000-level)
- UD = Upper Division (University-Level: Junior, 3000-level /Senior, 4000-level)
- Students will need to make a "C" or higher in all required courses outside of the core.
- The student is responsible for fulfilling all requirements on this degree plan and is encouraged to review the catalog that governs this degree plan.
- Substitutions in this degree plan must be approved by following the same procedures as for the degree.
- This document is an unofficial guide to your degree. Please contact an advisor for an official degree plan.
- Must meet minimum requirements: 121 s.h. overall, 36 s.h. UD, of which 30 s.h. must be completed at UHV.
- State TExES exams required for certification: PPR EC-12 #160; Physical Education #158
- Students are responsible for creating and maintaining an account with TEA online at www.tea.state.tx.us
Request more information about the degree or program that aligns with your career goals.