Notifications for All Certification Areas

(Teacher including Post Bac, VOICE, Principal, Superintendent, School Counselor, Reading Specialist, Educational Diagnostician)

Supply and Demand for Educators in Texas

The following information has been compiled from information provided by the Texas Education Agency for compliance purposes. No endorsement of the information sources is implied.

As we move into the third decade of the 21st century there is an increasing demand for new teachers due in part to an increase in enrollment and high attrition rates as an aging teacher workforce becomes eligible for retirement. In the State of Texas, there continues to be a shortage of secondary mathematics teachers, as well as other specialized certifications.

Teacher Shortage Information The United States Department of Education (ED) has approved the 2020-2021 teacher shortage areas submitted by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). The approved state-level shortage areas for the 2020-2021 school year are:

  • Bilingual/English as a Second Language – Elementary and Secondary Levels
  • Special Education – Elementary and Secondary Levels
  • Career and Technical Education – Secondary Levels
  • Technology Applications and Computer Science – Elementary and Secondary Levels
  • Mathematics – Secondary Levels

The approved shortage areas help administrators support the recruitment and retention of qualified teachers. Information on the national level Teacher Shortage areas can be found on the U.S. Department of Education’s website.

Typically, teachers are in demand for urban and rural areas, as these communities have the greatest need for teachers. Urban communities also face the added challenge of retaining their teachers, who may be attracted to the higher salaries offered in wealthier suburban school districts. Rural areas typically have difficulty attracting teachers because of their remoteness and lack of amenities.

Required Background Check

All candidates working toward certification must submit to a background check which will be submitted to the EPP Office before formal admittance into program:

19 TAC §227.1(b)

  1. pursuant to the Texas Education Code (TEC), §22.083, candidates must undergo a criminal history background check prior to employment as an educator; and
  2. pursuant to the TEC, §22.0835, candidates must undergo a criminal history background check prior to clinical teaching.

Professional Counseling Background Check

Other Considerations

  • If you are applying and have criminal felony or misdemeanor convictions, you should contact your program-appropriate certification officer immediately to seek clarification of your certification status and next steps.
  • You may want to/or be directed to complete a Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation. For more information, view TEA's Preliminary Criminal History Evaluation-FAQs.

EPP Performance

The EPP has provided the performance over time of the EPP for the past five years to all applicants and candidates [19 TAC §227.1(c)(3)(B)].

Students are able to visit the TEA website at the following link to find the performance over time of the University of Houston-Victoria EPP: Accountability System for Educator Preparation

Educator Preparation Data Dashboards

  • Accountability—The Accountability System for Education Preparation (ASEP)
  • Consumer Information—Educator preparation programs and their admission trends
  • Performance Indicators—Track teachers' journeys from application to retention
  • PPR Exam Pass Rates—Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities exams
  • Content Exam Pass Rates—Content exams
  • Campus Leadership Feedback—Principals' perspective on new teachers' preparation
  • Field Observation Completion—EPP completion of required observations
  • Field Observation Quality—Teacher feedback about their field experiences
  • New Teacher Satisfaction—Teacher feedback about their preparation

Applying for State Certification

Graduating from the teacher-education program does not grant you state certification. It does, however, help you meet the requirements needed in order to apply to the State Board for Educator Certification to obtain teacher certification.

To apply for state certification, follow these steps:

  • Meet the requirements for your teacher-education program.
  • Apply to the State Board for Educator Certification and pay the necessary fee.
  • After you submit your application and fee, the University of Houston–Victoria will then recommend you to the state board for the appropriate certification.

Other Considerations

If you hold an out-of-state or out-of-country teaching certificate, call the State Board for Educator Certification support center at (888) 863-5880, or apply to the State Board for Educator Certification at the following address:

State Board for Educator Certification
Capitol Station
PO Box 12728
Austin, TX 78711-2728

Appeal Process

Stage I: File Complaint with SoEHPHD

If the candidate seeking certification wishes to contest the decision to terminate from the program, specific procedures must be followed. Appeal form and process is included on document below (if you are in a degree seeking program with additional steps in the process, follow those guidelines).

You will need to sign in with your UHV username and password to access:
School of Education, Health Professions, and Human Development Appeal Form

Stage II: File Complaint with TEA

If the student, faculty member, or staff member is unable to resolve the complaint at the institutional level, and all UHV’s complaint and appeal processes have been exhausted, the individual may file a complaint with the Texas Education Agency (TEA).

The official TEA complaint process can be found at in the banner located at the bottom of the page and then select “Educator Preparation Programs.”

The complaint process allows for an applicant or a candidate in an educator preparation program to seek redress in areas where they feel that the program did not fulfill requirements for certification or for actions that the candidate feels are wrong. Educator preparation programs may also file a complaint about the actions of other programs when it involves a candidate transferring into a program.

Not all complaints fall under the authority of TEA. TEA has jurisdiction to investigate allegations of noncompliance regarding specific laws and rules, generally related to state and federal requirements. Complaints may address educator preparation program requirements listed in Texas Administrative Code (TAC) in Chapters 227, 228, 229, ethics (TAC 247), fingerprinting (TAC §§227,232) and certification (TAC §§230, 231, 232, 239, 241, 242).


All complaints filed with the TEA must be in writing. We do not accept complaints by phone or complaints that are submitted anonymously. A person or entity may file a written complaint with TEA by filling out the complaint form online or by mailing or faxing a hard copy to the address on the form. You may fax your submission to (512) 463-9008 or email it to

To adequately review and address a complaint, TEA needs specific details. We must be able to identify a clear violation of TAC and determine whether the agency has authority to act upon the allegation.

Complaints submissions should include the following: The reasons you believe the issues raised in your complaint are valid. You should also indicate how you believe that TEA can assist you with this matter. Remember that TEA cannot assist you in understanding your contractual arrangement with the educator preparation program, arranging for a refund, obtaining a higher grade or credit for training, or seeking reinstatement to an educator preparation program.

Documentation to support your claim when possible. For example, if you refer in your complaint to an educator preparation program policy, include a copy of the policy with your complaint. Helpful documentation might include letters or e-mails exchanged between the parties.

Texas Education Agency staff will send confirmation of a complaint within 30 days of receiving the submission. Remember, information the public sends to TEA by email may not be secure. Do not email sensitive information to TEA. The agency will remove confidential or sensitive information when replying by email. TEA will maintain confidentiality of information to the extent the law allows.


Admissions Requirements for All Certification Areas

English Proficiency Requirement (EPR)

All students attending the University of Houston-Victoria must be proficient in the use of English. Regardless of immigration status, students whose educational instruction has not been in the English language and/or whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency.

Applying to the College of Education & Health Professions

You know what you want for your future, you’ve done the research, and you’ve got that degree path in mind. You’re all set to start your application—just don’t forget to apply to both UHV and your chosen degree program.

School of Education, Health Professions, and Human Development programs are considered professional programs. Many of them have admission requirements outside of, or in addition to, the University of Houston–Victoria’s standard admission requirements. Consequently, you’ll need to make sure you submit your UHV application as well as follow the application procedures required by your degree program.

Teacher-Education Programs

If you’re interested in teacher education, whether elementary or secondary, the first thing you should do is contact the Educator Preparation Office (EPO). The EPO staff can answer your questions and guide you through the process of applying to a program.

All applications for teacher education should be submitted through the Educator Preparation Office the semester before you enroll in your first teacher-education course.

Postbaccalaureate students should see the postbaccalaureate certification page to learn about certification admission requirements.

Seeking a Master's degree with certification to teach elementary, secondary or English as a Second Language/Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESL/TESOL)? See Master of Education Programs (MEd)>>Teacher Certification below.


To be admitted to a teacher-education program, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Either complete or be exempt from the Texas Success Initiative (TSI).
  • Complete the Nelson-Denny Reading Assessment.
  • Pass the Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA) as evidence of a satisfactory level of performance in the basic skills of math, reading, writing composition, and critical thinking.
  • Complete 54 semester hours of coursework prior to enrolling in professional education courses.
  • Lower-division courses must be completed before admission to any teacher-education program.
  • Earn a GPA of 2.5 in lower-division English courses, six of which must be in composition.
  • Earn a GPA of 2.5 in all lower-division courses that apply to teacher certification.
  • Earn a GPA of 2.5 in courses that apply to degree.
  • Pass a background check.
  • Complete a face-to-face interview with School of Education, Health Professions, and Human Development faculty. Interview/Submission Rubrics for Admission (three rubrics one for undergraduate and two for graduate)
  • Show evidence of the characteristics, behaviors, and attitudes appropriate to the teaching profession.

Master of Education and Science Programs (M.Ed. & M.S.)

Graduate programs within the School of Education, Health Professions, and Human Development focus on specialized areas of study surrounding children, families, and society. In addition to earning your master’s degree, you also have the option of earning a number of different professional-level certifications, depending on your program.


All applicants must meet the general requirements for entrance to graduate study. See 'Master’s Degree Requirements' in the Academic Catalog. Other programs will require additional prerequisites and application materials. Returning for additional studies? See Readmission of Former Graduate Students (NOTE: students are not formally admitted until all documents are submitted. Students have the semester they are allowed Temporary Student status to submit all documentation)

*Note: Please see the UHV calendar for semester start and end dates.

Admission to an Educator Preparation Program

For applicants, with GPA's below 2.5, seeking certifications in a class other than classroom teacher the following scores must be achieved:

GRE® scores in the following ranges:

  • GRE® Verbal Reasoning - 143 or greater
  • GRE® Quantitative Reasoning - 140 or greater
  • GRE® Analytical Writing - 3.0 or greater

The applicant MUST also meet the UHV admissions index.

*Revised (12/27/16) General Test Score Bands for GRE® to be used for Admission to an Educator Preparation Program under the 10% Exception Rule in 19 TAC §227.10(a)(3)(D)

Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores may be substituted for the GRE® by CoEHP graduate students. The scores will be used with your grade point average to calculate a graduate admission index.

CoEHP GRE or MAT Waiver Policy

Applicants to graduate programs may request a waiver on a case-by-case basis, and in communication with the program area, for the GRE or MAT when applying for initial admission, or when attempting to progress from temporary graduate admission to conditional or full admission, provided the applicant falls into one of the following 4 categories:

  1. The applicant has completed a graduate or professional degree (i.e., a degree beyond a four-year baccalaureate degree) from an accredited college or university; OR
  2. The applicant has a current GRE score (less than 5 years old) of 292 or higher (verbal and quantitative sections combined); OR
  3. The applicant has an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher in the last 60 hours of coursework from an accredited college or university; OR
  4. The applicant has (a) an undergraduate GPA of 2.50-2.99 or higher in the last 60 hours of coursework from an accredited college or university AND (b) earns a grade of B or better in the first 9 hours of graduate coursework.

For applicants who do not fall into one of the above categories, GRE or MAT scores sufficient for meeting the university admission index are required to progress from temporary graduate admission.

All M.Ed. & M.S. Programs: You must meet the general requirements for entrance to graduate study. See Admissions Graduate page.

  1. Ed. Programs with Professional Certification: You must have taken 18 hours of professional education coursework and have appropriate teaching or related experience.
  2. Once all requirements are met, the candidate will apply directly to the Texas Education Agency at Candidates are responsible for updating and maintaining current information on the SBEC/TEA website (
  3. A fee, payable to the Texas Education Agency, is required for each application.
  4. After the candidate applies and pays the fee, the university will then recommend the student to the state for the appropriate certification.

These items will become part of a rubric score as part of the admission process.

  • Interview/Submission Rubrics for Admission.
    • Submit two letters of reference from practicing educators, such as from supervisors or other professional school personnel.
    • Provide a statement of purpose, discussing your reason for pursuing your chosen degree and your expectations of the program.
  • Professional Counseling:
    • Show evidence of achieving an index score as defined by the Admissions Office.
    • Submit three letters of professional or academic reference that speak to your academic achievement and aptitude, ability to complete graduate-level course work, and professional characteristics.
    • Submit a two-page, double-spaced writing sample describing why you want to pursue professional counseling as a career. Also include what you believe your strengths are in the area of counseling as well as other qualities that speak to your success in the counseling program.
    • Complete an admissions interview and orientation, facilitated by program faculty.
  • Teacher Certification: MEd in Curriculum and Instruction degrees with Teacher Certification.
    • Prior admittance into these programs is required. For specifics, visit the VOICE program page.

Readmission of Former Graduate Students

A former student of UH-Victoria is not required to file a new application for admission. If the student does not enroll for the term indicated on the original application, they must submit a Graduate Studies Form for the new term and/or program. Form is located on the Admissions eForms webpage.

A former student must submit transcripts from all colleges attended since the last enrollment at UH-Victoria.

VOICE Program

The Victoria Online Initial Certification for Educators (VOICE) program is completely online and provides an accelerated route to teacher certification for all grades. To learn more and apply, visit the VOICE program page.

Graduation Requirements for All Certification Areas

All students must meet UHV minimal guidelines to graduate. Those guidelines can be found in the Academic Catalog under University Degree Requirements: General Requirements for a Bachelor’s Degree


Other Information about Requirements for All Certification Areas

Undergraduate Teacher Certification Completion Requirements

This certification process applies to ALL education candidates seeking initial and supplemental certifications from the Texas Education Agency.

Application for graduation and application for certification are different processes. They must be applied for separately and have different requirements.

If an out-of-state or out-of-country teaching certificate is held, the candidate should contact the Texas Education Agency support center.

TExES Academy

Students seeking EC - 6, 4 - 8, and Secondary Certifications must participate in the TExES Academy

The TExES Academy was established to provide University of Houston-Victoria School of Education, Health Professions & Human Development students seeking Texas educator certifications with

  • Eligibility requirements required for registering for official exams
  • information concerning the state examinations (TExES)
  • practice tests
  • study recommendations prior to taking the examinations

Students admitted into the Teacher Education Program will automatically be enrolled in the TExES Academy.

Graduate Degree Completion Requirements

  1. Meet UHV requirements to graduate. The student must satisfy all university requirements for a master’s degree as found in the section, UNIVERSITY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS.
  2. Pass a Candidacy and Comprehensive Examinations/or Capstone Project.
    Candidacy and Master’s Comprehensive Exams will be assessed a late fee if submitted after the deadline date. Deadlines will be strictly enforced. A satisfactory performance on the school’s examination/project is required of all graduate students.
  3. All degrees must have at least 18 semester hours of graduate Education coursework and all courses through the School of Education, Health Professions & Human Development must be at graduate level.

Prior Coursework Policy - Regarding Military

Texas Administrative Code, Title 19, Part 7, §228.35 Preparation Program Coursework and/or Training

(5) Each EPP must develop and implement specific criteria and procedures that allow:
(A) military service member or military veteran candidates to credit verified military service, training, or education toward the training, education, work experience, or related requirements (other than certification examinations) for educator certification requirements, provided that the military service, training, or education is directly related to the certificate being sought; and

Prior Coursework Policy - Regarding Non-Military

Texas Administrative Code, Title 19, Part 7, §228.35 Preparation Program Coursework and/or Training

(5)(B) candidates who are not military service members or military veterans to substitute prior or ongoing service, training, or education, provided that the experience, education, or training is not also counted as a part of the internship, clinical teaching, or practicum requirements, was provided by an approved EPP or an accredited institution of higher education within the past five years, and is directly related to the certificate being sought.