Checklist Autism Spectrum Disorders Grant Scholarship
Thank you for your interest in the Master of Education in Special Education with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) graduate program.
The grant supports 10 new students every fall. If the 10 positions are full for the upcoming fall term, we can place you on the waiting list for the next fall.
In order to be considered for the Grant you must:
I. Complete UHV admission requirements
- Complete on-line application for graduate admission (NOTE: if you are former UHV student, you will submit an update to Update to Admission Application instead)
- Have official transcripts of all non-UHV coursework and degrees conferred sent directly to UHV's Office of Admissions and Records (3007 N. Ben Wilson St. Victoria, TX 77901) (NOTE: students who already have a master's or terminal degree need only submit their graduate degree transcript)
- Complete the online Graduate Studies Form.
- Register, take, and have sent Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores to UHV's Office of Admissions and Records (requirement waived if you already have a master's or professional degree)
- Submit (UHV's Office of Admissions and Records) two professional or academic reference letters that speak to your academic achievement, and/or and your professional characteristics, and your potential to successfully complete graduate work (such letters do not need to come from a supervisor or colleagues in an educational setting), and
- Submit (UHV's Office of Admissions and Records) a writing sample that describes why you want to pursue the degree program. In addition, the statement should include what you think are your particular strengths, and any other information that would be helpful in evaluating your potential
Students who have completed this process will have preference over students who have not completed all of these steps. NEXT,
II. Complete Grant Specific Requirements:
- Contact Dr. Rita Coombs Richardson (cc Dr. Rachel Martinez and Deborah Westbrook) to express interest in the ASD Program and Scholarship.
- Complete a signed Pre-Scholarship Agreement and Certification of Eligibility for Federal Assistance Form ED 80-0016 (please complete the following forms and bring printed copies with you to your interview)
- Schedule and complete a successful interview with Dr. Rita Coombs-Richardson (in the Houston area) or Dr. Rachel Martinez (in the Victoria area)
If you have any questions regarding the application/admissions process through the normal channels for the graduate program, please, contact Deborah Westbrook, Teacher Certification Coordinator, by phone (361) 570-4853 or email.
Feel free to contact Dr. Coombs-Richardson if you need additional information about the Grant program.
Once you are approved as a Grant Recipient you will need to:
Complete the documents below and fax to UH System Accounts Payable at (713) 743-0521:
• Vendor Coversheet for Individuals
• W-9 Form
• Direct Deposit Authorization Form (Non-Employees Only)**