Counseling Training Clinic
- 1 in 5 U.S. adults experience mental illness
- 1 in 6 U.S. youth experience mental illness
Despite the above statistics, many people continue to suffer from mental illnesses and struggle to take charge of their mental health. Unfortunately, many of us don’t learn how to continually care for our mental health and daily life challenges may lead to significant emotional distress, impacting overall wellbeing. In February 2021, almost half of the adults in Texas reported symptoms of anxiety or depression, and more than 1 in 4 weren’t able to get the counseling they needed (NAMI). More than HALF of Texans aged 12-17 who have depression didn’t receive any care in the last year. Of the 839,000 adults in Texas who didn’t receive mental health care, almost 50% of them were said it was because of cost. Many crises can be avoided with preventative mental health care. One common barrier to people receiving mental health counseling is affordability.
The University of Houston-Victoria’s Counseling Training Clinic (CTC) is designed to assist graduate students gain counseling experience while receiving high-quality supervision from licensed counselors. Mental health services offered at CTC is available for members in the community, free of cost. Starting Fall 2022, the CTC will be open at the Katy Instructional Site to serve the Katy community. To find out more, or to schedule an appointment, please call 281-396-3720. The clinic will initially be open only on Monday and Thursdays from 2-7pm. Please give us a few days until we contact you. Currently, CTC does not offer crisis counseling and recommends anyone in crisis to call 911 or 988.
The Professional Counseling program at UHV is excited to create the Counseling Training Clinic initiative to support student development and offer community care through valuable mental health services. The accolades achieved by this program over the years, is a testament for the efforts taken by many counseling faculties and other stakeholders. We are pleased to open the much-needed service to the Katy community.
The FREE Counseling Training Clinic will offer the following services, provided by our Master’s level Counselor Interns:
- Individual Counseling: Confidential, nonjudgmental talk therapy. Goals of sessions will be individually determined to custom-fit the needs of each client.
- Play Therapy: The preferred and evidence-based method of therapy with children (usually aged 3-12). Children utilize toys as their words and play as their language to process.
- Family Counseling: When possible, working with the whole system (whether that be a couple or the family unit) can help work toward goals more efficiently.
Schedule A Session!
If you are interested in receiving FREE counseling in Katy, Texas, you must first complete a short phone screening to help ensure the CTC is the right service for you. To schedule a phone screening, which usually takes about fifteen minutes, please either email or call with the following information:
- Date of birth or age
- Contact information (phone/email)
- Whether or not you give permission for the CTC to leave a voicemail, if necessary
- Type of counseling you’re interested in (individual/play/couples/family)
- Your availability during clinic hours (Mondays or Thursdays from 2PM-7PM)
In order to provide high-quality training and supervision, sessions are also subject to be supervised live or recorded (recordings will be destroyed within the semester they are recorded). All clients will be required to consent to have their sessions recorded/supervised.
Remember seeking counseling services is a CHOICE you are making to improve your mental health! You Deserve It!
Clinic Contact Information:
- Phone: 281-396-3720