ESL/TESOL Concentration with Teacher Certification Degree Plan
Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, English as a Second Language/Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESL/TESOL) Concentration with Teacher Certification
Prior admittance into this program is required. For specifics, see Teacher Certification | Accelerated
Applying to the School of Education, Health Professions & Human Development
Core: 12 semester hours*
- CUIN 6312 Human Development & Learning
- CUIN 6314 Classroom Practices, Processes & Procedures
- CUIN 6320 Models of Teaching
- FEDU 6322 Cultural & Social Foundations of American Education
Major Concentration: 18 semester hours
- ESLN 6310 Assessment in Bilingual & ESL Education
- ESLN 6311 Foundations of Bilingual & ESL Education
- ESLN 6312 Principles of Second Language Teaching
- ESLN 6313 Teaching Second Language Literacy
- ESLN 6314 Teaching English as a Second Language
- SPED 6321 Introduction to Special Education
Student Teaching Practicum or Internship: 6 semester hours**
- CUIN 6316 Application of Educational Roles I (Internship
- CUIN 6317 Application of Educational Roles II (Internship)
- CUIN 6318 Practicum Seminar
- CUIN 6319 Practicum in Teaching (prereq CUIN 6318)
*These masters courses are currently offered at $3750 for tuition and fees. Course materials extra.
**The two additional courses for either option do not count towards master’s degree requirements.
Total: 30 semester hours
- Take Masters Comprehensive Exam.
- Certification requirements must be completed before taking the master comprehensive exam.
Official degree plan will need to be completed with your Faculty Advisor and Educator Preparation Office (EPO) staff. All required signatures must be recorded before it is official.
For more information about the program, or questions contact us:
University West Suite 213
Phone: (361) 570-4371 or toll free (877) 970-4848 x4371
Fax: (361) 580-5580