Masters Degrees with Teacher Certification
For those who have a bachelor’s degree and a desire to teach who also want to be highly skilled in their fields, UHV now offers three masters degrees with teacher certification in elementary (EC-8), secondary, and English as a Second Language/Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESL/TESOL). The 18 VOICE program course hours needed for certification qualify for the VOICE program discount ($3750 tuition and fees rather than $7500). Twelve of the teacher certification hours count towards master’s degree core requirements.
For the Elementary Education degree with teacher certification, see the program degree plan page.
For the Secondary Education degree with teacher certification, see the program degree plan page.
For the ESL/TESOL degree with teacher certification, see the program degree plan page.
Before you get started, you’ll need
- A bachelor’s degree with transcripts sent to UHV
- To pass the Pre-admission Certification Test (PACT) in your certification
- To take the GRE or Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
- To apply to UHV and UHV Graduate Program:Apply.
- A GPA of 2.75 in the last 60 hours of your previous coursework or a cumulative GPA 2.75 from all college work
- A letter of standing if you’ve previously participated in an accelerated certification program (ACP)—only students of good standing within an ACP will be admitted to the VOICE program.
- To provide a criminal history background check. The background check form may be obtained in the Educator Preparation Office (EPO) and should be returned to the EPO in a sealed envelope or mailed directly from the Texas Department of Public Safety.
- To live within a 75-mile radius of Victoria or Katy to complete the internship or student teaching practicum options.
Where Can This Master’s Degree Take You?
Well, where would you like to go? Teachers are wanted all over the state of Texas in public and private schools. By earning a master’s degree in education, you will be better prepared to face the challenges of the job of educator. Having a master’s degree can open up more job opportunities for you. For example, you could be a: lead teacher on campus, education technology specialist, instructional coach or curriculum specialist or curriculum director in a school district, curriculum writer for publishing companies, education consultant at a regional service center, independent education consultant, corporate trainer, education policy developer or instructor at a community college.
There’s a lot ahead of you. You can go anywhere and do anything—follow a path or forge a brand new one. It’s all up to you, and we’re here to help prepare you for whatever journey lies ahead.
Visit the career services department to apply for jobs or get help putting together your resume.
The estimated cost of attending the University of Houston–Victoria varies with enrollment status and personal lifestyle. However, 18 hours of coursework that focus on certification are $3750 plus books and materials rather than the current approximate cost of $7500. The remaining courses in the master’s degree plan are at the current graduate course rate.