Literacy Studies- Reading Specialist Concentration Degree Plan
Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Literacy Studies Concentration with Reading Specialist and Master Reading Teacher (MRT) options.
Core: 12 semester hours
- CUIN 6321 Principles of Curriculum Development
- CUIN 6332 Education in a Diverse Society
- FEDU 6321 Foundations of Educational Research
FEDU 6322 Educational Assessments
- FEDU 6331 Human Growth and Development
EDUC 6310 Integration of Curriculum and Technology in Education by advisement*
Major Concentration: 24 semester hours
- LITY 6331 Instruction for Students with Literacy Difficulties*
- LITY 6333 Foundations of Writing for 21st Century Learning
- LITY 6334 Foundations of Developmental Reading*
- LITY 6340 Professional Literacies Research
- LITY 6360 Framework for Literacies Learning
- LITY 6362 Assessment of Multi-Literacies Learning*
- LITY 6363 New and Traditional Literacies Across the Content Areas
- LITY 6304 Practicum in Literacy
* Courses that focus on dyslexia. Go to Dyslexia Graduate Education Certificate to learn how you can earn this new UHV certificate.
Total: 36 semester hours
Additional Requirements for the Reading Specialist Certification:
- Hold a valid Texas teacher certificate.
- A minimum of two years of teaching experience in an accredited school
- Admission to graduate study within the School of Education, Health Professions & Human Development must precede the completion of applicable course work
- Pass the TExES #151.
Official degree plan will need to be completed with your Faculty Advisor and Educator Preparation Office (EPO) staff. All required signatures must be recorded before it is official.
Students are required to take comprehensive exams the semester before they intend to graduate or the semester they intend to graduate. Students may have to make arrangements to come to a testing site in Victoria or Katy to complete this requirement (depending on degree).
For more information about the program, or questions contact us:
University West Suite 213
Phone: (361) 570-4371 or toll free (877) 970-4848 x4371
Fax: (361) 580-5580