English as a Second Language/Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Concentration

Open doors of opportunity by teaching English to speakers of other languages with a M.Ed. with an ESL/TESOL concentration.

The Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with a concentration in English as a Second Language/Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages will help you develop a solid academic foundation in second language theory and pedagogy in teaching English or any language as a second language in cross-cultural situations. You will be prepared not to only teach a second language effectively, but also train teachers and administer programs in this field.

See the degree plan and requirements

Why earn an M.Ed. with an ESL/TESOL concentration?

English Language Learners are the fastest-growing student population in U.S. schools. While the ELL student body continues to increase dramatically, the number of well-trained teachers who can provide effective instruction to these students falls short. Additionally, with English serving as the international language, tens of thousands of students around the world are required to learn English in grade schools. Thousands more study English to pursue educational programs and careers that require English language skills. Immigrants and refugees to the U.S. often need to acquire English to survive and succeed. There is a considerable demand for qualified teachers of English and those who can take a leadership role in this high-need area within and outside the U.S.

Why study ESL/TESOL at UHV?

  • Online            
  • Affordable
  • Easy application
  • No visa needed for international students (if you choose to study online in your home country)
  • Excellent, talented faculty delivering high-quality education
  • Knowledgeable, dedicated staff to assist you from admissions to graduation and after
  • Small class sizes
  • Outstanding preparation for your career

Email Philip, our recruiter

What can I do with this concentration?

Graduates can pursue positions as ESL instructors, curriculum developers, instructional specialists, program coordinators, administrators and professors in a variety of settings, including K-12 schools, school districts and regional service centers, intensive English language programs, adult basic education programs, government/military schools, private international language schools, community-based language programs for immigrants and refugees, corporate training/consulting, and community colleges and universities in the U.S. and abroad. Current teachers of English to non-native speakers can pursue this degree to widen their professional opportunities. This program is suitable for those who want to teach or administer a program of not only English but also any language as a second language. 

Program Highlights

  • Receive high-quality training in ESL/TESOL from dedicated faculty who are active practitioners and researchers in the field.
  • Be challenged, mentored and nurtured by faculty and peers with extensive experience in cross-cultural teaching and service.
  • Be prepared to better meet the linguistic, sociocultural and academic needs of English Language Learners within and outside the U.S.
  • Establish a comprehensive framework of the knowledge and skills essential for teaching ELLs.
  • Develop teaching expertise with professional preparation, contextual sensitivity, cultural appropriateness and ethical service.
  • Benefit from the resources of a university that values academic excellence for a diverse community.

What benefits will an online program bring?

Our online courses allow you to attend class when you have time each week. You do not need to worry about logging into your class at a particular time. Your professor provides the content and expectations at the beginning of each week, and you have all week to tend to the lesson, finish weekly discussion posts, submit any assignments or take tests. You can live or work abroad while in the program at your own pace each week. No residency is required. If you have any question or need assistance, our dedicated faculty and staff are available by email or phone.

How long will it take to complete the program?

You may finish in one-and-a-half or two years if you follow the plan of study. The completion time may vary depending on how many courses you take each semester and whether you plan to take courses in the summer.

See a breakdown of the degree plan and requirements.

Request Information

Will this program provide me with a K-12 Texas teacher certification?

To teach in public schools in the U.S., an initial teacher certificate (EC-6, 4-8 or secondary) is required. This program will NOT provide you with teacher certification for grades K-12 in the U.S. Rather, this program prepares you to teach and administer second language programs in other settings in the U.S., such as regional service centers, intensive English language programs, adult basic education programs, private international language schools, community colleges and universities. You also will be prepared to teach in other countries around the world.

This program will prepare you for the ESL supplemental test if you already hold an initial Texas teacher certificate. If you have obtained both an initial teacher certificate and an ESL certificate, you will find this program to be a great complement to your education career.

If you are interested in a Texas teacher certification to be able to teach in K-12 and getting an M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction with a concentration in ESL/TESOL, our VOICE program would be a great fit for you.

Tuition & Funding

A good education shouldn’t saddle you with insurmountable debt. That’s why, at UHV, affordability and quality go hand in hand. From scholarships to grants to assistantships, we offer an array of options to help you afford your UHV graduate education.

Apply Now

Tuition Rates

The estimated cost of attending the University of Houston–Victoria varies with enrollment status and personal lifestyle. Browse our Tuition and Fees page to get an idea of how much it will cost to attend UHV.

Funding Options

To apply for FAFSA and similar external scholarships, visit the Office of Financial Aid.

Sound like your direction? Request more information or begin your application.