Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification

If you already have a bachelor’s degree but are interested in becoming a teacher, consider our post-baccalaureate (PB) certification. Students in the program can take the necessary course work to gain teacher certification without having to obtain another undergraduate degree. PB students may hold full-time paid teaching positions while completing their certification requirements or may choose to student teach in their last semester.

Apply to the Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Program

Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification is the program for you if

  • You already hold a bachelor’s degree
  • You are interested in K–12 education
  • You’re passionate about encouraging and facilitating learning

Certification Plans

All students in the Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification program must:

  • Set up a certification plan through the Educator Preparation Office
  • Pay a $25 service fee
  • Fill out the Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education Application
  • Take all applicable state certification exams prior to the student-teaching or internship semester
  • Complete an internship or student-teaching experience
  • Take 12 hours of teacher-education coursework


A minimum of 12 semester hours is required to receive certification, six of which will include student-teaching experience or an internship.

Post-baccalaureate students can pursue the following teaching specializations:

  • Early childhood–6th grade (elementary education) generalist certificate
  • 4th–8th grade (middle school) generalist certificate
  • 7th–12th grade (middle and high school) subject area certificate
  • Physical Education certificate (early childhood–12th grade)
  • Spanish certificate (early childhood–12th grade)
  • Special Education certificate (early childhood–12th grade)
  • English as a Second Language certificate (early childhood–8thgrade)

7th–12th Grade Subject Area Certifications

  • Computer science
  • English, language arts, reading
  • History
  • Life Science
  • Mathematics
  • Science

Regardless of which specialization you choose, you will be required to pass the PPR qualifying test with an 80% or higher after you take CUIN 3323 Instructional Design and INDS 3323 Child Development and Its Application to Learning. You must pass the qualifying test in order to enroll in further education courses.

Internships & Student Teaching

Post-baccalaureate students are required to complete a student-teaching experience at a state-accredited school, which accounts for six of the required 12 semester hours. However, an internship can be substituted for student teaching in the following cases:

  • You secure a teaching position in your area of specialization at an accredited school in the area
  • You are a teacher-in-service currently teaching at a state-accredited school

If you qualify for an internship, you will substitute the required six semester hours of student teaching for the equivalent semester hours of a one-year internship.

Where Can This Certification Take You?

Well, where would you like to go? Teachers are needed across the state of Texas in public and private schools.

There’s a lot ahead of you. You can go anywhere and do anything—follow a path or forge a brand new one. It’s all up to you, and we’re here to help prepare you for whatever journey lies ahead.
Visit the career services department to search for internships, apply for jobs, or get help putting together your resume.

Sound like your launch pad? Request more information or begin your application.