Graduate Certificate Preparation Program – Principal
If you already have a master’s degree, at least two years of teaching experience, and an interest in principal licensure, the Principal Certification Preparation Plan is for you. In this program, you’ll do only the coursework required to prepare for principalship and the TExES #268 and #368/PASL Principal Certification assessments, as opposed to a full master’s degree.
Before you get started, you’ll need
- A valid Texas teacher certificate
- A master’s degree from an accredited program
- A minimum of two years of teaching experience in an accredited school (Teaching Service Record required)
- To be admitted for graduate study at the College of Education and Health Professions (must precede the completion of applicable coursework)
- Access to a computer, webcam, and high-speed Internet as well as basic computer and word-processing skills
You Can Earn
Through this program, you can prepare to earn your Texas Principal as Instructional Leader PK-12 certification. You will need to finish an approved administrative field experience (internship and practicum); complete all of the required coursework, which is aligned with State Board for Educator Certification and Commissioners’ Standards (TAC 19 §241.15, TAC 19 BB §149.2001); and pass the TExES #268 and #368/PASL Principal Certification assessments.
To acquire certification, you must successfully complete these TEA-mandated courses:
- ELAS 6310 Theoretical Foundations & Functions of Administration
- ELAS 6312 Developing and Sustaining Human Capital
- ELAS 6317 Diversity & Inclusion in 21st Century Schools
- ELAS 6331 Law & Ethical Practice
- ELAS 6336 School Business Management
- ELAS 6104 Internship in Educational Leadership (1 credit hour)
- ELAS 6205 Practicum in Educational Leadership (2 credit hours)
During the initial advisement process, your advisor will determine whether you have any knowledge or instructional gaps. If you do, you may be required to take additional coursework.
Other Degree Options
If you’d like to explore more leadership certification options and master’s degrees, visit the MEd education administration program.
Where Can This Degree Take You?
Well, where would you like to go? School principals and other educational leaders are wanted all over the state of Texas in public and private schools.
There’s a lot ahead of you. You can go anywhere and do anything—follow a path or forge a brand new one. It’s all up to you, and we’re here to help prepare you for whatever journey lies ahead. Your first step is to Apply Now.
Your Financial Investment
Your education is an investment and shouldn’t saddle you with enormous debt. That’s why at UHV affordability and quality go hand in hand. From scholarships to grants to student loan programs, we offer an array of options to keep your investment in your education reasonable and doable.
Tuition and fees in the Educational Leadership program are among the most reasonable in the state. Your other costs will vary based on your personal lifestyle. For the most recent tuition schedules, visit our Tuition and Fees page.
The estimated cost of attending the University of Houston–Victoria varies with enrollment status and personal lifestyle. Browse our Tuition and Fees page to get an idea of how much it will cost to attend UHV.
To apply for FAFSA and similar external scholarships, visit the Financial Aid website.