Master Reading Teacher (MRT) Certification
A certified master reading teacher assists children who struggle with literacy to become confident, independent readers and writers. The fully online Master Reading Teacher Certification program gives you the knowledge, research, and strategies for success on the TExES #151 exam and in your career postgraduation.
Before you get started, you’ll need
- A master’s degree
- A valid Texas teacher certificate
- A minimum of two years of teaching experience in an accredited school
- To be admitted for graduate study at the School of Education, Health Professions, and Human Development
- Access to a computer, webcam, and high-speed Internet as well as basic computer and word-processing skills
Certifications You Can Earn
Master Reading Teacher Certificate : In order to receive your certificate, you’ll have to pass the TExMaT #85 for Master Reading Teacher. Your certification coursework will help prepare you for the test. The program consists of 15 semester hours of graduate-level work in the following areas:
- Courses—15 semester hours
- LITY 6360 Theoretical Foundations of New & Traditional Literacies
- LITY 6362 Assessment of Multi-Literacies Learning*
- LITY 6332 Literacy Leadership & Critical Policy Action
- LITY 6334 Foundations of Developmental Reading*
- LITY 6304 Practicum in Literacy
*Courses that focus on dyslexia. Go to Dyslexia Graduate Education Certificate to learn how you can earn this new UHV certificate.
Other Certification Options
For other reading-teacher options, you can also explore the MEd curriculum and instruction, literacy studies degree, the MEd curriculum and instruction, reading specialist degree, and the Reading Specialist Certification .
Or, if you aren’t sure a literacy concentration is for you, check out other curriculum and instruction concentrations.
Where Can This Degree Take You?
Well, where would you like to go? Reading teachers are wanted all over the state of Texas in public and private schools.
There’s a lot ahead of you. You can go anywhere and do anything—follow a path or forge a brand new one. It’s all up to you, and we’re here to help prepare you for whatever journey lies ahead.
Visit the career services department to search for internships, apply for jobs, or get help putting together your resume.
Tuition & Funding
A good education shouldn’t saddle you with insurmountable debt. That’s why, at UHV, affordability and quality go hand in hand. From scholarships to grants to assistantships, we offer an array of options to help you afford your UHV graduate education.
The estimated cost of attending the University of Houston–Victoria varies with enrollment status and personal lifestyle. Browse our Tuition and Fees page to get an idea of how much it will cost to attend UHV.
To apply for FAFSA and similar external scholarships, visit the Office of Financial Aid.