Educator Testing Transition
The following was adapted from the webpages Texas Education Agency Educator Testing and TEA's Principal Certification Redesign (6/26/2018).
The Texas Educator Certification Examination Program will transition to a new vendor, NCS Pearson, Inc., beginning September 1, 2018, for the following tests: TExES, TExMaT, TASC, and TASC-ASL. ETS will administer the new Performance Assessment for School Leaders (PASL) when it becomes effective in fall 2019. Below accessible text adapted from the Educator Testing Transition flyer (PDF, 56 KB) and Principal Certification Redesign provides more information about the transition. Ongoing updates will be provided by both vendors and the Texas Education Agency in the coming weeks.
Adapted Accessible Text:
The Texas Educator Certification Examination Program will transition to a new vendor, Pearson, beginning September 1, 2018, for the following tests:
TExES, TExMaT, TASC, and TASC-ASL. ETS will administer the new Performance Assessment for School Leaders (PASL) when it becomes effective in fall 2019.
- A Pearson website with limited information will be available on June 28th. The new full-content website will be available September 1, 2018. Upcoming Pearson website
- Registrations with ETS will continue through August 29th for test dates through August 31st.
- Preparation materials and educator preparation program (EPP) resources will continue to be hosted on the ETS website through August 31st.
- Score reports will continue to be available on the ETS website through September 28, 2018.
- EPPs will have access to ETS Data Manager through September 28, 2018.
- Account set up and registrations with Pearson will open on September 1st for test dates beginning September 4th. Educators and candidates who wish to take a test or view their old score reports must first create an account with Pearson.
- Beginning September 1st, all TExES and TExMaT exams will be administered as computer-administered tests (CAT). TASC and TASC–ASL will continue to be administered in an interview format.
- Pending SBEC approval, test fees effective September 1st will be $116 for most TExES exams, and $58 for individual Core Subjects exams (#801-809). The Texas.gov fee will continue to be assessed.
Testing Vendors as of September 1, 2018:
Tests: TExES, TExMaT, TASC, and TASC-ASL
Website (effective 6/28/18): Upcoming Pearson website
Tests: Foreign Language & Bilingual Exams:
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese,Russian, Turkish, & Vietnamese
Vendor: ACTFL/LTI (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages/ Language Testing International)
Phone: (800) 486-8444
Website: Language Testing International | Validated and Certified Language Proficiency Testing
Tests: Family & Consumer Sciences #200, #201, #202
Vendor: AAFCS (American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences)
Phone: (800) 424-8080
Website: AAFCS Exams for Texas FCS Teacher Certification - American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
Tests (effective fall 2019): Performance Assessment for School Leaders (PASL)
Vendor: ETS (Educational Testing Service)
Website: ETS Performance Assessment for School Leaders (For Test Takers)
Principal certificate candidates can expect the following changes:
- All candidates will need to pass the new TExES Principal (268) and complete the Performance Assessment for School Leaders (PASL) to obtain a standard principal certification starting on 9/1/2019.
- Candidates who pass the TExES Principal (268) assessment by 8/31/2019 will be exempt from the PASL and will receive their standard certification with a passing score on the TExES Principal (268) test if they complete all other certification requirements (e.g., course work, practicum) by 8/31/2019 and apply and are recommended for certification by 10/30/2019.
- The TExES Principal (268) test will be offered for free to eligible candidates during the initial testing windows in December 2018 through February 2019. Eligible candidates include only those candidates who have never attempted the TExES Principal (068) test. Scores for the initial testing period will be reported in late June or early July 2019.
- The PASL will become available to candidates in fall of 2019.
- Given the timing of the changes above, it is recommended that all principal candidates entering programs on 1/1/2018 or later begin preparation for the TExES Principal (268) and PASL assessments.
How does this impact the current TExES Principal (068) test?
The TExES Principal (068) test will be available to first-time test takers through 12/31/2018 and for re-testers through 8/31/2019.