University of Houston-Victoria

Department with Video

Veteran Affairs Educational Benefits

UH-Victoria is approved by the Texas Education Agency for VA educational benefits for veterans, children and spouses under Chapters 32 and 35, Title 38, U.S. Code. 

Student veterans may receive assistance in applying for benefits from the Office of Financial Aid. To expedite payments, veterans should contact the Office of Financial Aid at least 60 days prior to the first class day of each semester or term to complete all necessary paper work for that period of study. VA enrollment is certified up to 10 days prior to the first class day of each semester.

Texas veterans who have no eligibility remaining under any program of the United States government may be eligible for exemption of tuition and certain fees under the provisions of the Hazelwood Act. Additional information on the Hazelwood Act can be found in the section of the catalog bearing that name.

Application Procedures

VA Forms and Publications

Veterans who have received VA benefits at a different institution prior to attending UHV must complete Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) before their first semester of VA Benefits will be certified at UHV.

Dependents of disabled or deceased parents (Chapter 35) need to complete the Form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance).

Chapter 30, Chapter 33, Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607 Veterans who will be applying for VA Benefits for the first time must complete the Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits).

Chapter 31< veterans have his or her Regional VA Counselor send the VA Form 22-1905.

All Chapter 30 and 1606 veterans applying for benefits must submit a copy of his/her DD-214 and a signed UHV degree plan.  First term students will not have a degree plan set up yet. It is strongly advised to meet with the degree plan counselor to get this plan completed before the end of the first term.  If a degree plan has not been submitted, VA benefits for the next term will not be certified.

Post 9/11 GI Bill®

GI Bill iconIf you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.


Military Transcripts

Information about military transcripts and how to request the transcripts is available from each branch of the military.

VA students co-enrolled at another institution must inform the UHV VA Certifying Official of their co-enrollment status so a Parent Institution Letter can be initiated.

To continue receiving the VA benefits, students must certify their enrollment electronically with the VA each month: Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.).

For additional information contact: Ruby Dean, VA Certifying Official

Office of Financial Aid
University of Houston-Victoria
3007 N Ben Wilson Rm 110 UW
Victoria, TX 77901-5731
Telephone Number 361-570-4129

- OR -

Veterans Administration Regional Office
6900 Almeda Road
Houston, TX 77030
Telephone Number 1-800-827-1000

College Scholarships For Military Veterans

Various scholarships available to veterans:

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) 

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $4,000 of Financial Assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields.

Spouses can contact MilitaryOneSource for education counseling and help finding alternative funding sources. Call toll free at: 1-800-342-9647.

Click here to learn more about the MyCAA Career Advancement Accounts program.

Learn more about Spouse Employment opportunities and programs.

National Resource Directory

The National Resource Directory website is an excellent resource for connecting wounded warriors, service members, Veterans, their families and caregivers with those who support them.  The website includes information on:  Benefits & Compensation, Education & Training, Employment, Family & Caregiver Support, Health, Homeless Assistance, Housing, Transportation & Travel, Volunteer Opportunities and Other Services and Resources.

Hazlewood Tuition Exemption

The Hazlewood Exemption is to provide an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans who have exhausted all of their VA Educational Benefits. Information can be found with Student Billing.

Additional Resources:

BLS Employment Data - October 2015

The national unemployment rate decreased slightly from 5.1% to 5.0% and the Veteran unemployment numbers decreased from 4.3% to 3.9%.  

Choosing the Right School Guide

This new version includes information about the different types of degrees/programs that you can use with the GI Bill, the importance of school accreditation, and much more valuable information.

GI Bill Comparison Tool

An online tool to help you make well-informed decisions about the future by networking with your fellow veterans.

Economic Opportunities for Veterans

Archive for the VA Employment ListServ email Library.


Research, find, access, and, in time, manage your VA benefits and personal information.

Veteran Employment Services Office

For veterans seeking employment in the federal government, particularly the VA.

Rate Tables

For a complete listing of BAH rates, see BAH Rates for All Locations.  Service members can calculate their individual BAH rates using the BAH Calculator.

Basic Allowance for Housing Calculator

The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is a U.S. based allowance prescribed by geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status.  It provides uniformed Service members equitable housing compensation based on housing costs in local civilian housing markets within the United States when government quarters are not provided.