How to Apply for Loans
To be considered for a federal student loan, a student must complete the following steps:
Step 1: Complete the FAFSA
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible. A slideshow is available to help you. You will need to create a FSA ID.
- Complete and electronically submit a UHV Scholarship Application for some specific scholarships annually (Forms)
- New and returning students must be approved for admission to UHV through the Office of Admissions.
Two major changes to the FAFSA will take effect for the 2017-18 school year. (The 2017-18 school year runs from July 1, 2017, through June 30, 2018.)
- The FAFSA will be available earlier (October 1 of the previous year instead of January 1 of the upcoming school year).
- The FAFSA will collect income information form an earlier tax year.
When can students submit the FAFSA:
When a Student is Attending College
|When a Student Can Submit a FAFSA||Which Year's Income is Required|
|July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016||January 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016||2014|
|July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017||January 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017||2015|
|July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018||October 1, 2016 - June 30, 2018||2015|
|July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019||October 1, 2017 - June 30, 2019||2016|
Step 2: Check Your UHV Email and myUHV Financial Aid Links
All financial aid notifications are sent to the student's UHV email account. Also, check your financial aid application status periodically on myUHV.
Financial Aid may request you to submit other documents. You may receive a Missing Information Notice email to the students email account. The myUHV To-Do List will show what to submit.
Click on the document's name to find out more details about the requested document. Financial aid will not be awarded until all requested documents are submitted and processed. You can access the forms on the Financial Aid Forms webpage.
Step 3: Additional Forms and Steps
Students may be required to submit additional documentation:
- If you are interested in applying for additional Federal Direct Student Loans or you declined a loan offered on myUHV, then you can complete and submit a Loan Request.
- If you have not previously received a Federal Student Loan, you must complete the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling session and Master Promissory Note.
- If you drop below half-time, withdraw, or apply to graduate, you must complete the Exit Counseling session. A Return of Title IV Funds will be calculated if a student withdraws, which may result in a balance owed to UHV.
- If are selected for the process of verification, you will need to submit a verification worksheet and possibly tax documentation. Here is full explanation of the verification process.
- Submit a Student Employment Application if you are interested in employment opportunities on campus or in the community.
Step 4: Accept/Modify/Decline Financial Aid Awards
If a student is awarded financial aid, they will receive an Award Notice to their student email. Each award is posted in the myUHV account.
Any aid awarded is for the aid year, and will divided in half between the Fall and Spring semester.
A tutorial on Accepting/Declining aid is here.