Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan Programs
To learn about the Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan Programs, we are providing a Direct Loan Website Link: https://StudentLoans.gov. Students and parents can explore the site for information about the Direct Loan Program, including helpful publications and tools to help manage their Direct Loans.
Steps to Complete the Loan Application Process
Students interested in applying for student loans must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
New student loan borrowers at UHV are required to complete an Entrance Counseling session. The counseling session will help you:
- Understand your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower
- Provide information about the loan programs and terms
- Approximately 20-30 minutes to complete. Entrance Counseling must be completed in a single session.
- The website to complete the entrance counseling session is https://StudentLoans.gov
- You will need a FSA ID and Password to complete the session.
- Federal loan timetables are located online.
All new student loan borrowers attending UHV will need to complete a Direct Loan Electronic Master Promissory Note located at https://StudentLoans.gov. Please read "What to Expect" at the following website: https://StudentLoans.gov in order to understand the process of completing a Master Promissory Note.
4. Additional Information:
- When student borrowers graduate, withdraw from a term or drop below 1/2 time enrollment, he or she is required to complete an exit counseling session. The website to complete the exit counseling session is https://StudentLoans.gov. A Return of Title IV Funds will be calculated if a student withdraws, which may result in a balance owed to UHV.
- You have the right to cancel all or a portion of the loan(s) by contacting our office within 14 days of the date the student was notified of his/her loan disbursement. The funds will be returned to your lender by either electronic funds transfer (EFT) or check.
- If loans were accidentally declined, students can complete a loan request form in the eforms system.
- If necessary, to request additional loan funds later in the year, complete a Federal Student Loan Request Form and return it to the Office of Financial Aid. It is recommended that the student should contact a Financial Aid Specialist prior to completing this form. Once awarded, the student will need to accept, modify or decline the loan awards in myUHV Self-Service (https://www.uhv.edu/myUHV/)
Federal Direct Student Loans 2016-2017 Interest Rates
|Federal Direct Student Loans 2016-2017 Interest Rate Effective for Loans First Disbursed on or after July 1, 2016
|Loan Type||Borrower Type||Index | 10-Year Treasury Note||Add-On||Fixed Interest Rate|
|Direct Subsidized Loans||Undergraduate Students||1.710%||2.05%||3.76%|
|Direct Unsubsidized Loans||Undergraduate Students||1.710%||2.05%||3.76%|
|Direct Unsubsidized Loans||Graduate/Professional Students||1.710%||3.60%||5.31%|
Federal Student Loan Origination Fees
|Federal Student Loan Origination Fees||October 1, 2015 - September 30, 2016|
|Direct Stafford Loan - Subsidized (Undergraduate Students)||1.068%|
|Direct Stafford Loan - Unsubsidized (Undergraduate Students)||1.068%|
|Direct Stafford Loan - Unsubsidized (Graduate/ Professional Students)||1.068%|