University of Houston-Victoria

Department with Video

Apply for Financial Aid

Overview of the Financial Aid Process

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for Federal and State student aid, an applicant must:

  1. Be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or eligible non-citizen,
  2. Demonstrate documented need for need-based financial help,
  3. Have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate, or by completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law,
  4. Be enrolled or accepted as a regular student in an eligible degree seeking program,
  5. Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP),
  6. Must meet enrollment status requirements,(enrolled at least half-time for the Direct Loan program funds).
  7. Have registered with the Selective Service if male,
  8. Not be in default on any educational loan or owe a refund on any educational grant,
  9. Not been convicted of possession or sale of drugs while receiving Federal Title IV Aid,
  10. Have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau).
  11. Sign certifying statements on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) stating that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.

For more information, visit the federal student aid website.

When is the Priority Application Deadline?

All financial aid application steps should be completed by the following priority deadline dates to ensure your file will be reviewed as soon as possible for the upcoming semester. Applications are processed on a first completed, first awarded basis.  Students should check their myUHV and Student Email regularly for status updates.

Fall - March 15

Spring - October 15

Summer - March 15

Please complete all the paperwork and submit all documents requested as soon as possible. If you miss the priority deadline, consider other arrangements for the payment of fees.

Financial Aid Checklist

Step 1: Complete the FAFSA, TAFSA, and/or UHV Scholarship Application

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible. A slideshow is available to help you. You will need to create a FSA ID.
  2. Complete and electronically submit a UHV Scholarship Application for some specific scholarships annually (Forms)
  3. New and returning students must be approved for admission to UHV through the Office of Admissions.

See further below for TAFSA instructions.

Two major changes to the FAFSA will take effect for the 2017-18 school year. (The 2017-18 school year runs from July 1, 2017, through June 30, 2018.)

  • The FAFSA will be available earlier (October 1 of the previous year instead of January 1 of the upcoming school year).
  • The FAFSA will collect income information form an earlier tax year.

When can students submit the FAFSA:

When a Student is Attending College

(School Year)

When a Student Can Submit a FAFSA Which Year's Income is Required
July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016 January 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016 2014
July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017 January 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017 2015
July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018 October 1, 2016 - June 30, 2018 2015
July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019 October 1, 2017 - June 30, 2019 2016


Step 2: Check Your UHV Email and myUHV Financial Aid Links

All financial aid notifications are sent to the student's UHV email account.  Also, check your financial aid application status periodically on myUHV.

Financial Aid may request you to submit other documents.   You may receive a Missing Information Notice email to the students email account. The myUHV To-Do List will show what to submit.

Click on the document's name to find out more details about the requested document.  Financial aid will not be awarded until all requested documents are submitted and processed. You can access the forms on the Financial Aid Forms webpage.

Step 3: Additional Forms and Steps

Students may be required to submit additional documentation:

  • If you are interested in applying for additional Federal Direct Student Loans or you declined a loan offered on myUHV, then you can complete and submit a Loan Request.
  • If you have not previously received a Federal Student Loan, you must complete the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling session and Master Promissory Note.
  • If you drop below half-time, withdraw, or apply to graduate, you must complete the Exit Counseling session.  A Return of Title IV Funds will be calculated if a student withdraws, which may result in a balance owed to UHV.
  • If are selected for the process of verification, you will need to submit a verification worksheet and possibly tax documentation. Here is full explanation of the verification process.
  • Submit a Student Employment Application if you are interested in employment opportunities on campus or in the community.

Step 4: Accept/Modify/Decline Financial Aid Awards

If a student is awarded financial aid, they will receive an Award Notice to their student email. Each award is posted in the myUHV account.

Any aid awarded is for the aid year, and will divided in half between the Fall and Spring semester.

A tutorial on Accepting/Declining aid is here‌.

Applying For Summer Financial Aid

  1. Complete the applicable aid year FAFSA. (If you have not already).
  2. Complete the applicable aid year UHV Scholarship Application, if applicable.
  3. Complete the UHV FA Summer Form
    1. Log in to myUHV and go the Self-Service.
    2. Choose Financial Aid from the main menu.
    3. Click on "UHV FA Summer Form" from the Financial Aid menu and fill in the number of hours you will be enrolled for the upcoming summer semester. If you are an undergraduate who plans to co-enroll, complete the co-enrolled hour's box below and a consortium agreement form. Send in a copy of the Paid Fee Receipt and Class Schedule. The UHV Consortium Agreement is located on Forms.
    4. Next check if you want to receive federal loans. If you know the amount of the loan, fill in the appropriate box or, check the "Maximum" box.
    5. If you have completed the loan section, read the information paragraph and check the adjacent box.
    6. Click on the "Save" box.
  4. If you have already submitted your request for summer financial aid and you have a change in your anticipated hours of enrollment for the summer, please submit an email.

Aid for Non-US Citizens or Permanent Residents

According to the passing of Senate Bill 1528 (SB 1528), Texas law allows students that are neither US citizens nor permanent residents to be classified as a Texas resident for admissions and financial aid purposes.

Criteria to qualify as a Texas resident under Senate Bill 1528:

  1. Graduated from a public or accredited private high school in the State of Texas or received the equivalent of a high school diploma (GED) in the State of Texas,
  2. Maintained a residence continuously in the State of Texas for the 36 months immediately preceding the date of high school graduation or receipt of the high school diploma equivalent (GED), and
  3. Maintained a residence continuously in the State of Texas for the 12 months immediately preceding the academic term for which the person is trying to enroll at the University, and
  4. Submits an affidavit stating that the person will apply to become a permanent resident of the United States as soon as the person becomes eligible to do so (Affidavit of Intent).

Students who meet the first three criteria must submit a notarized Affidavit along with an official copy of their high school transcript or GED certificate.

Students that meet the criteria are entitled to pay resident tuition and may qualify for state and/or institutional financial aid.

List of Financial Aid Programs available for Senate Bill 1528:

  • Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG)
  • TEXAS Grant
  • UHV Guarantee Scholarship
  • Tuition Offset Grant
  • Institutional Scholarships

    ** Students must be enrolled at Least HALF-TIME at UHV in order to receive the TPEG or TOG**

Applying for Admission to UHV and Financial Aid:

  1. Apply for financial aid by submitting a TASFA application .
  2. Proof of income: parent and student (if applicable) tax return transcript for the appropriate year, W-2s, and the Independent or Dependent V1 Verification Worksheet.
  3. Males must register for selective service.
  4. To be considered for some scholarship opportunities, students can submit the UHV Scholarship Application.

Additional Links:

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Toolkit: Provided by U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services

White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics

Best Colleges Scholarship Guide