Employee and Supervisor
If an employee has tested positive for COVID-19, is suspected/presumed to have COVID-19, or exhibits any coronavirus symptoms, the following steps should be taken by the employee and their supervisor.
- If you are at work, go home immediately and avoid coming into close contact with anyone.
- Contact your supervisor as soon as possible to notify them.
- Contact your health care provider for diagnosis, treatment and/or testing, as necessary.
- Stay home (except to seek medical care).
- Follow CDC guidance and What to Do If I’m Sick.
- Complete the Diagnosis or Symptoms Reporting form.
- If you are suspected or presumed to have COVID-19 and later receive a positive test result, notify your supervisor of this development.
- Follow the self-quarantine protocols
- Do not return to campus until written approval is received. See Completion of Self-Quarantine.
- Cooperate with contact tracers to provide information about others with whom you have had close contact.
- If the employee is at work when you are notified, make sure the employee is separated from others and immediately sent home.
- If the employee is at home, advise him to stay at home and follow the protocols above; also, find out when the employee was last at work.
If the employee has tested positive or been diagnosed with COVID-19 or is suspected or presumed to have COVID-19, the supervisor also should:
- Notify the COVID-19 response coordinator at COVIDOps@uhv.edu and UHV Human Resources.
- Notify UHV Facilities to clean/disinfect the employee’s work area. Note: CDC guidance advises that cleaning/disinfecting should not begin for 24 hours from employee’s presence. If the infected individual has not been present for seven days or more, additional cleaning and disinfection is not necessary besides increased routine cleaning and disinfecting of all high-touch surfaces already in place.
- Close off areas used by the infected employee, including common areas.
- Notify employee’s co-workers of a potential exposure, but do not identify the employee by name.
- Advise co-workers that guidance is being sought to determine if there is indication for quarantine or further notifications as a precautionary measure and further advise that they do not need to take any specific action unless notified, but they should continue to monitor their health for the presence of any coronavirus symptoms and follow the prevention and workplace prevention practices.
- Send home any potentially exposed employees (as described in Potential Exposure to Coronavirus) and instruct them to complete the Potential Exposure Reporting form and to follow the self-quarantine protocols. Inform them that they will need to submit a Request to Return to Campus form and be approved before they can return to campus as detailed in Completion of Self-Quarantine/Isolation.
- If any of your employees notify you that they received a positive test result for COVID-19, immediately relay this information to the UHV COVID-19 response coordinator at COVIDOps@uhv.edu.