University of Houston-Victoria


Student Frequently Asked Questions

The following resource was developed for students and family members to answer their questions about UHV. General questions may be sent to covidops@uhv.edu. Please visit this page frequently, as we will be providing relevant updates to the list of FAQs.

General Information

Q: Is campus open?
A: UHV and UHV Katy are open. UHV is in Phase 4 of a Phased Reopening Plan. Classes currently are being offered several different ways: face to face with a real-time online (online – virtual) option, hybrid (online/hybrid – traditional) and traditional online (online asynchronous).

UHV will move to “normal” operations starting Monday, August 2. “Normal” operations, or Phase 5, means that UHV and UHV Katy will be fully operational with faculty and staff on campus, classes fully occupied and campus events taking place without restrictions. This means that UHV will be offering regular face-to-face classes in addition to the hybrid and fully online classes that the university offered before the pandemic. The university’s residence halls also will be occupied at regular capacity.

Fall classes will begin Aug. 23 with students arriving Aug. 19. UHV continues to monitor CDC guidelines, state mandates and community conditions to ensure everyone’s safety. The university’s goal is to return to campus in the safest manner possible.

Q: Will university-sponsored events be held during the fall semester?
A: On-campus student-related activities and events will take place without restrictions beginning this fall.

Q: Will study abroad programs be available for the fall semester?
A: Students may plan fall study abroad programs with the help of their advisor. However, students should understand that future study abroad opportunities are subject to change based on conditions in both the U.S. and abroad. For immediate questions about Study Abroad, please email international@uhv.edu.

Q: When will 2020 and spring and summer 2021 in-person commencement ceremonies take place?
A: UHV is hosting two days of commencement ceremonies for all 2020 and spring and summer 2021 graduates. Ceremonies will take place July 24 at Faith Family Church, 2002 E. Mockingbird Lane in Victoria, and July 31 at the Merrell Center, 6301 S. Stadium Lane in Katy. Read more about the ceremonies.

Information for Incoming Students

Q: Is there still time to apply for the fall semester?
A: Yes. The application deadline is August 6, 2021, and the document deadline is August 11, 2021, for the fall semester.

Q: I don’t have SAT or ACT scores to submit for admissions. What should I do?
A: UHV will be a test-optional institution through summer 2022.

Q: If my high school is closed, what can I do to send in my grades and test scores?
A: If you have any previous or current application materials, we encourage you to submit those electronically or through email to admissions@uhv.edu.

Q: Are campus tours available?
A: Yes. To schedule a tour, please visit the campus tours page.

Q: Where can I find information that relates to new international students?
A: For the latest updates, please visit www.uhv.edu/international.

Q: Will UHV be offering classes this fall?
A: Yes. Registration is all online and will continue as normal. The schedule for fall 2021 is open. If you are having difficulty registering, please email enrollspec@uhv.edu. If there is a hold on your account, please directly contact the office that has issued the hold for more information.

Q: Will I be awarded and disbursed my financial aid for the fall semester in a timely manner?
A: Yes. We have a plan in place that will allow our office to quickly award and disburse aid for students this fall.

Q: Is it too late for me to complete my Free Application for Federal Student Aid for aid year 2021-2022?
A: No, it is not too late to complete your FAFSA. You also should complete the UHV Scholarship Application at uhv.academicworks.com. You must be a current student to complete the form.

Q: Is there still a plan to offer New Student Orientation for incoming fall 2021 freshmen?
A: Yes. Information about the ROAR orientation sessions scheduled for summer 2021 is now available.

Q: I am transferring to UHV and am wondering if the university will accept alternative grades from my previous institution?
A: UHV will accept and award college-level credit from regionally accredited institutions that provide grades of S (Satisfactory) or P (Pass) during the semesters impacted by COVID-19. Hours earned from S or P grades will be counted toward transfer hours but will not be factored in the calculation of your cumulative transfer GPA and will not factor into your GPA at UHV. Hours earned from F grades will count toward the calculation of your cumulative transfer GPA.

Information for Current Students

Q: Are the residence halls and dining services available this fall?
A: Yes. The university’s residence halls will be occupied at regular capacity this fall, and dining services will be offered.

Q: What do I do if I think I might have COVID-19?
A: Please visit the Student Diagnosis/Symptoms Protocols, and follow the instructions.

Q: What do I do if I test positive for COVID-19?
A: Please visit this site, and follow the instructions.

Q: Will I be required to wear a mask on campus?
A: UHV continues to encourage the wearing of face coverings, especially for individuals who are not fully vaccinated, but they will no longer be required on campus following Governor Abbott’s May 18 Executive Order.

Q: Will I need to show proof of receiving the COVID-19 vaccine to attend university events?
A: No. UHV will not ask any student, employee or guest if they have been vaccinated.

Q: Does UHV require COVID-19 testing for students or employees?
A: No. UHV does not require testing.


Q: Are the residence halls open?
A: Yes, the UHV residence halls are open. Residence Life expects to remain open throughout the summer and fall.

Q: What are the expectations for cleanliness when I leave my space? Can I check out cleaning supplies?
A: We ask that you remove all items, trash and belongings. Do your best to clean your space with the supplies you have or supplies you bring with you. We will not be checking out cleaning supplies to limit germ transference from people handling the same objects.

Q: Do you have carts available to check out?
A: To limit germ transference, we will not be able to check out moving supplies, carts, etc. Please bring your own packing and moving supplies.

Q: What if I moved all my belongings out of my room and want to mail my key back?
A: After you formally have notified the housing department that you have moved out and removed all your items, you can mail your key back to Residence Life following the specifications listed below. Residence Life is not responsible for returned keys that are lost in the mail:

  • Key must be sent via Certified Mail or FedEx.
  • Key must be placed in a sturdy envelope that cannot be easily damaged by the key inside. It is recommended that you use a bubble mailer/envelope.
  • Key must be mailed to:
    University of Houston-Victoria
    Residence Life
    2705 Houston Hwy.
    Victoria, TX 77901

Q: How do I contact my residence hall front desk if I have questions about housing?
A: For general questions, contact the main housing office from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 361-485-4404.

Q: How frequently are common areas cleaned?
A: Our staff is cleaning and disinfecting daily. All high-touch areas – such as door handles, faucet handles, flush handles, elevator buttons and drinking fountains – are disinfected a minimum of two times daily.

Q: I am receiving an error message on the myHousing Portal. What should I do?
A: If you are receiving an error message when clicking the myHousing portal that states “I don’t have permission to view this page,” please use another browser. We are working to resolve this issue. If the error continues, please contact us at housing@uhv.edu.