UPDATE: Coronavirus Health Precautions from UHV Marketing & Communications
Feb. 18, 2020
The University of Houston-Victoria is continuing to monitor updates related to the Coronavirus (recently renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization). As of Jan. 28, the UH System has prohibited all travel to Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, and nonessential travel to China outside of the province.
While the Coronavirus health risk is low, the CDC recommends preventative actions to avert the spread of viruses such as the Coronavirus. These include:
- Wash your hands frequently, using soap and water, for at least 20 seconds. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer (with at least 60 percent alcohol) when soap and water are unavailable.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- While handwashing is recommended as the primary method to prevent respiratory viruses, hand sanitizer is available throughout campus, including many labs, offices and classrooms.
As a reminder, UHV students in the Victoria area can go to the Community Health Centers of South Central Texas if they do not already have a primary care provider. You can contact the center at 361-576-2110 and identify yourself as having flu-like symptoms. If a student does not have transportation, Student Services is available to make travel arrangements by calling 361-570-4430.
UHV students in the Houston area or other locations should consult with their regular health care providers or seek treatment at a local health center. Faculty and staff who are ill with flu-like symptoms should stay home and contact their personal physicians for further advice.