Beijing, Tianjin and Jinan City, China
BUSI 4391/6391 Leadership Management: Comparison And Application Between The East And The West
The 14 night, faculty led study abroad summer 2020 program to Beijing, Tianjin and Jinan Cities, sponsored by the Wu-Feng Center for International Studies, offers UHV students a unique opportunity to build leadership and management capabilities, to become more competitive in the dynamic international business environment.
The program compares East and Western business techniques including several cultural and business visits. The course includes lectures and presentations by Chinese and American academicians and business executives. Chairman Wu, entrepreneur and sponsor, shares insights from his more than 50 years of hard and successful work experience and is the author of the course text book. UHV students will study with Chinese students and all lectures will be taught in English.
This course counts as a concentration or broadening course for the BBA degree and as a concentration course on the Strategic MBA degree plans. For more information students can review the 2020 China Course Schedule. Accounting and Non-business majors should check with their advisor.
The air fare from Houston to Beijing return is included in the price. Students will leave from Houston IAH airport on Air China direct flight to Beijing very early on Friday, July 10th and return to Houston on Sunday July 26, 2020. Check in is at Houston IAH airport on Friday evening, July 10th at 10 p.m. Please review the Program Agenda and the BUSI 4391-6391 Leadership Management Syllabus.
The Program Cost
Round Trip Flight ($1500)
Hotel accommodation ($1000)
14 nights of accommodation based on double occupancy (same gender)
- In Country Transportation ($550)
Transportation includes to and from the airports and all scheduled activities.
Cultural Visits and Guides ($300)
Admissions to scheduled events including the Summer Palace, Great Wall, Forbidden City, Home of Confucius, Tai Mountain, shipping and business site visits
- Meals ($400)
Most meals during the entire stay in China. Students may have to pay some meals during cultural visits and guides (approximate: $100).
- Guest Speakers/ Lecture Series ($750)
- Total China Expenses $4500
Additional costs include:
- UHV Tuition and Fees. Visit UHV Student Billing for UHV Tuition and Fees.
- Chinese visa application fee: Approximately $250 (Visa fee, passport photos, FEDEX fee)
- International Student ID Card (Cost $20 + shipping)
- Health Insurance through Cultural Insurance Services International (Cost can range from $50-$150 depending on the student age and medical history)
Passport Application + Passport photos + Express Mail Fee (approximately $230)
- Personal spending money
- April 1- Completed application along with the non-refundable application fee of $250
- April 1 - Submit a copy of the biographical page of the passport, the passport expiration date must be no later than Feb. 1 2021 or later.
- April 1- Wu-Feng Scholarships Confirmation notification will be sent out to all students who completed the application along with the application fee
- April 10 - Those with a pending passport application, must submit a copy of the biographical page of the passport no later than April 1st. Failing to submit the copy of the passport will run the risk of not making the Chinese Consulate appointment to receive the visa to enter China.
- May 4 - Payment of $2,250 is due
- May 11- Students must order the International Student ID Card (Basic) card online (cost $30), mailing of the card may vary. As soon as you make the payment of $2250, go ahead and get the card processed.
- May 11- Once the payment of $2250 is paid, go ahead and purchase your health insurance at Cultural Insurance Services International.
- May 25 - UHV Tuition due. Visit UHV Student Billing for more information * check with the Student Billing Department
- June 1 - Complete the Chinese Consulate Visa Application (instructions will be provided May 25th)
- June 2- Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation and Visit to the Chinese Consulate. Mandatory Orientation is from 9am to 5pm at UHV at Katy. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from their home to UHV at Katy.
- July 10 - Check in at 10pm at Houston International Airport (IAH)
- July 12 - Arrive at Beijing and start program in China
A limited number of scholarships are available through the Wu-Feng Center for International Business Studies, up to $2,000 in value. Apply early.
The application deadline is April 1st, 2020. To reserve a place and qualify for the Wu-Feng $2,000 scholarship, complete the application form and pay the $250.00 deposit through - within seven days of applying. Signed releases and a copy of the applicant's passport are also required. The deposit will be applied towards the program fee and is non-refundable unless UHV cancels the program.
The remaining charges must be paid by the dates listed on this schedule:
Deposit of $250 upon application
Wu-Feng Scholarship Award in the amount of $2,250 by May 5th (It wont reflect in student account until end of May 2020). Students will be notified via email of the scholarship status.
Tuition and fee due by May 25th * Check UHV Student Billing website for accurate dates.
To apply, please complete the following forms:
- Complete the Study Abroad China Tour Application
- Submit the application along with
- $250 Deposit
- Biographical page of your unexpired passport (Expiration later than Feb 1, 2021)
For more information please contact:
Academic Advisor, School of Business Administration, University North Building Suite 212
Phone: (361) 570-4242 or (877) 970-4848