University of Houston-Victoria



Student Life and Services

Division of Student Affairs
Jaguar Hall, Suite 1135
2705 Houston Highway, Victoria, Texas 77901

For Student Life and Services questions, telephone:
(361) 485-4411 or toll-free (877) 970-4848 ext. 4411
Fax:  (361) 580-5506

The Department of Student Life and Services helps students achieve their academic goals and enhance their intellectual and social development through a variety of programs and services.  We promote student leadership, collegiality, and good citizenship.  The department supports the academic mission of UHV, assures the rights of students, and ensures students get the support necessary to be successful at UHV and in their communities.

We contribute to a healthy, safe, and productive academic environment and are responsive to the needs of our diverse student body.  Students are encouraged to contact us with any questions or needs they may have. 

The university hosts two commencement ceremonies, one following the spring term and one following the fall term. An application for graduation is to be filed in the Office of the Registrar and Student Records by the published deadlines. Students applying for graduation will be asked to indicate whether or not they will participate in the commencement ceremony. Students who indicate that they will participate at commencement will receive information from the department about caps, gowns, announcements, and information about graduation day.

Jaguar Hall, Jaguar Suites, and Jaguar Court are located on Houston Highway and are within walking distance of UHV’s main campus.  Computer labs with printers are available in Jaguar Village.  Services available to all UHV students located in Jaguar Village are academic tutoring, Student Life and Services, group and individual study areas, community garden, recreational field, The 11:59 Lounge, JP’s Market (Food Pantry), The Den (Student Organization Resource Area), The Snack Shack, Campus Security, residential pool and fitness center, and a dining facility offering a variety of meal options.

Identification Cards
Students living in UHV resident halls are issued an identification (ID) card, aka the Paw Pass.  This ID card provides access to many resources provided by the university such as dining hall meals, building access at residence halls, use of the library, and can be used for entrance to certain university events such as athletics.  The identification card can also be used in the community for discounts at various participating businesses in the Daily Deals student discount program. 

Students are responsible for maintaining a current ID card for the entire duration they are affiliated with the University of Houston-Victoria and are responsible for the safekeeping of their ID card.  Student ID cards and/or replacements can be requested in the Paw Pass office, located in the Jaguar Hall, room 1029. 

Nonresidential students can use their Jaguar Cards as ID cards unless they would like to have a Paw Pass.  If a Paw Pass is desired, students can contact the Paw Pass Office to request one or submit an online application through JagSync. 

No one other than the student to whom the card is issued may use the ID card for any reason.  The Paw Pass is the property of the University of Houston-Victoria and may be revoked at any time by the university. 

Students attending classes online or at the Katy campus are not required to have an ID. These students can obtain an ID by submitting an online application through JagSync. Fill out your information on the form. Upload a copy of your State issued ID or Driver’s License. You will need to take a photo for your ID and upload to the form.  Please make sure the photo follows the instructions to ensure acceptance and submit the form upon completion. Further questions or correspondence can be addressed by emailing  

Counseling Center
UHV Counseling Center offers a broad range of student-focused, short-term, episodic services, including counseling, assessment, consultation, and outreach.  The Counseling Center also houses the VIP Program and Jags for Life, which are focused on reducing interpersonal violence on campus and preventing suicide, respectively. Our mission is to work to empower college students to be capable adults responsible for their own well-being, to maturely choose how, when, and even if to address behaviors that may negatively impact their academic performance and quality of life. Our services are designed to support students as they adjust to challenges and transitions as well as to help faculty, administration, and staff function more effectively in their work with all UHV students. Through our endeavors, we support the educational mission of UHV and facilitate mutual respect and understanding among people of diverse backgrounds.

Currently enrolled UHV students in the Victoria-area can access counseling services on the Victoria campus. UHV students located in the Houston-area can access counseling services through the UT Health Science Center. Please see the Counseling Center website ( to make an appointment and learn more. 

Student Center
A Student Center is located at Jaguar Hall.  Students can enjoy comfortable seating, vending machines, a game area, ping pong, pool, and large screen televisions.  Table games and DVDs may be checked out at the Front Desk.  Outdoor seating areas are also available for students’ enjoyment.  A large dining area is available with a variety of food offerings.

UHV students are welcomed at the Victoria College Student Center where the bookstore is located, along with Subway, TV rooms, reading room, meeting rooms and a game area. A convenience store offers a variety of food and beverage items to meet the needs of students, faculty, staff, and visitors.  

Student Conduct
UH-Victoria students must conform to all university policies and procedures. The Student Code of Conduct and the academic sanctions and appeals process are available in the Student Handbook

Student Discount Program
Students are eligible for discounts at local businesses through our Daily Deals program. A discount program brochure is available in the Department of Student Life and Services located in Jaguar Hall, suite 1135. You can also find a complete listing of updated deals by visiting 

Student Handbook
The Student Handbook is intended to convey official university policy and procedures to students at the University of Houston-Victoria. Students should also refer to the UHV catalog, class schedules, or university officials for additional information. The Student Handbook may be accessed online. A hard copy of the Student Handbook can be requested from the Department of Student Life and Services located in Jaguar Hall, suite 1135 or can be found at

Student Health Insurance
A hospital, medical, and surgical insurance plan is available to all university students at a nominal cost. Information on available insurance plans for domestic and international students can be accessed online at

At University of Houston-Victoria, students or exchange visitors who hold an F1 or J1 visa are required to have hospitalization, medical and surgical insurance which includes a repatriation and evacuation benefit. Cost for this insurance may be added to the fee bill each fall and spring term.  Students enrolled for the spring term are covered through the summer term.  A Health Insurance Waiver Request form is available at for international students (F1/J1 visa holders only) who have the minimum required coverage through other sources.  Students who begin enrollment in a summer term may purchase a short-term policy for adequate coverage during this period of study before the fall term begins. 

Student Health Services
Students who live on the University of Houston-Victoria campus or within 50 miles of UHV’s Victoria campus are eligible to us the Community Health Centers of South Central Texas as their primary care provider, without any other form of insurance.

The health center is conveniently located at 2503 Hospital Drive, Victoria, Texas 77901, across from Jaguar Village. The co-pay will be no more than $25 per visit. Some students may qualify for small co-pay by providing a copy of the financial aid eligibility.

Student Lounges
The Spot is maintained for students on the first floor of the University West building.  A microwave oven, refrigerator, television, magazines, and newspapers are available for use. The 11:59 Lounge is located in Jaguar Hall and is equipped with a pool table, gaming systems, and television.  The Snack Shack is located within the 11:59 Lounge and sells snacks, drinks, coffee, and more! 

Student Organizations
Opportunities for the development of leadership skills are offered to students through participation in recognized university organizations. Students are encouraged to participate in existing service, honor, social, or professional organizations or start their own. For more information on active organizations, policies for the recognition and operation of student organizations, and other pertinent material can be obtained upon request from the Department of Student Life and Services or accessed online at

Student Government Association
Student government at UH-Victoria exists in the form of the Student Government Association (SGA). This governing body's purpose is to promote communications among constituents of UHV, enhance the unique educational environment of UHV, and address specific needs of students in order to provide a voice to and for the student body with respect to academic and cultural matters. The membership is composed of an Executive, Legislative and Judicial branch. The Executive Branch consists of a President, Vice-President, Chief Justice, Speaker of the Senate, Director of Public Relations, and Director of Finance. The Legislative Branch or Student Senate consists of nineteen (19) student senators, which include three Academic Senators to represent the interests of students in the academic colleges and departments, fifteen Senators to represent the interests of their specific class, which include three freshman, three sophomore, three junior, three senior, three graduate and one Speaker of the Senate. More information on SGA can be found at

Student Travel
Texas Education Code, Section 51.949, as enacted by the 77th Legislature requires the regulation of certain types of student travel sponsored, supported or sanctioned by the university. UHS System Administrative Policy 03.E.08 establishes the system-wide policy for this type of travel. See UHV policy F-3: Student Travel at

Study Areas
In Victoria, there are individual and group study areas in the VC/UHV Library and in Jaguar Hall for students who reside there.