Professor of Finance
Phone: (281) 396-3766
Office: UHV at Katy 3-102
Dr. Xavier Garza Gomez earned a PhD in Economics from Nagoya City University in Japan. Prior to coming to the University of Houston-Victoria, he taught at ITESM in Mexico, and California State University in San Marcos. His teaching interests include Business Finance, Financial Institutions & Markets, International Finance, Investments, and Statistics for Business and Economics.
Dr. Garza-Gomez has published numerous articles in a number of significant academic journals including Financial Analyst Journal, Journal of Economics and Business, Asian-Pacific Financial Markets, and others. He has presented his papers at many conferences of the Financial Management Association. Additionally, he has received many Best Paper Awards from his presentations at various international conferences on his extensive research in discretionary accrual models. He has also served as a reviewer and discussant for the Financial Analyst Journal, International Review of Economics and Finance, the Academy of Economics and Finance conference, and others.
Dr. Garza-Gomez holds the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation, a highly acclaimed professional recognition in the finance profession. As a member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Dr. Garza Gomez served as vice president and president of the UHV chapter. He is also a current member of the Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society, the Financial Management Association, the CFA Institute, and the CFA Society of Houston.
In recognition of his achievements, Dr. Garza Gomez received the 2012 Partnership Professor Award from the School of Business Administration, UHV and the 2013 Bloomberg Teaching Award.
- PhD - Nagoya City University, Economics, 2001
- MBA - ITESM at Laguna, Finance, 1993
- MS - ITESM at Monterrey, Systems and Quality Control, 1992
Courses Taught at UHV
- BUSI 3303 - Business Statistics
- FINC 1301 - Personal Finance
- FINC 3304 - Business Finance
- FINC 4325 - International Finance
- FINC 6300 - Selected Topics in Finance
- FINC 6352 - Financial Management
- FINC 6361 - Investments
- FINC 6362 - Financial Institutions & Markets
- FINC 6364 - Technical Analysis of Stocks & Commodities
- FINC 6367 - International Finance
Honors and Achievements
- 2013: Bloomberg Teaching Award, Fall 2013
- 2012: Partnership Professor of Finance, UHV School of Business
- 2008: Best paper award for the paper titled 'Beating Buy-and-Hold Strategies using Seasonal Patterns in the Japanese Stock Market' - International Business & Economics Research Conference
- 2007: Best paper award for the paper 'Profitable Technical Trading Rules for the Austrian Stock Market' - IABT Conference
- 2000: Best paper Award for 'Discretionary accrual models and the accounting process' - Vernon Zimmerman, Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues
- 2000: Research fund recipient for 'Jika Sougaku wo Meguru Shihon Shisan Hyoka Model no Ginko Bumon wo Fukumeta Nihon Shijo de no Kensho.' - Shintaku Kyokai, Yokyo, Japan
- 2000: Research fund recipient for 'The relation between Accounting Information and Stock Prices.' - Daiko Zaidan
- 1999: Discretionary accrual models and the accounting process. - Kanematsu Fellowship
- 1999: On The Robustness of the Market Value of Equity as Risk Absorber in Cross-Sectional Regressions. - Ishii Securities Memorial