Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship
Phone: (361) 570-4243
Office: University North 212X (Victoria)
Dr. David Summers earned a PhD in Organization Theory and Strategy from the University of North Texas, an MBA from West Texas A&M University, and a BS in Electrical Engineering from Texas Tech University. Prior to coming to UHV Dr. Summers worked as a power distribution engineer, a retail business owner, a real estate broker, and taught management and entrepreneurship for eighteen years at West Texas A&M University. He has received several teaching awards and served as a faculty advisor for several student organizations.
Dr. Summers has published articles in several academic journals including the Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship, Review of Management Innovation and Creativity, and others. He also published a book titled, The Formation of Entrepreneurial Intentions, and has presented his research numerous conferences; winning four Best Paper awards and a Distinguished Research Award.
Dr. Summers has served as a consultant providing management education for several firms including Anderson Merchandisers, Bell Helicopter, Unocal, Corporate Systems, and Affiliated Foods. At UHV, Dr. Summers has been a primary designer and driver of the Master of Science in Economic Development and Entrepreneurship degree program. He has been heavily involved in the Texas Economic Development Council, Rural Innovators, and the UHV Small Business Development Center. While in Amarillo, Dr. Summers served on the board of directors of the Better Bureau of the Texas Panhandle, and served as chairman of the Better Business Bureau Education Foundation. Currently, he serves on the board of directors for the Mountain Plains Management Association.
Dr. Summers is a member of the Academy of Management and the Mountain Plains Management Association.
- PhD - University of North Texas, Organization Theory and Strategy, 1998
- MBA - West Texas A&M University, Finance, 1975
Courses Taught at UHV
- EDEN 6350 - Introduction to Economic Development and Entrepreneurship
- EDEN 6351 - Fundamentals of Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- EDEN 6352 - Developing the Business Plan
- EDEN 6353 - Nurturing and Growing the Fledgling Venture
- EDEN 6354 - Growing the Successful Venture
- EDEN 6359 - Economic Development and Entrepreneurship Project
- MGMT 4303 - Entrepreneurship
- MGMT 4304 - Entrepreneurship Field Studies
- MGMT 6300 - Selected Topics in Management
- MGMT 6359 - Seminar in Strategic Management
- MGMT 6376 - Entrepreneurship
Honors and Achievements
- 2013: Best paper award at the conference - Mountain Plains Management Association Annual Conference
- 2006: AACSB Accredited Business Programs - Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society