Biomedical Science is the application of biological sciences to medical use, be it research, diagnostics, health monitoring or treatment. As medicine and healthcare becomes increasingly sophisticated, the demand grows for highly skilled biomedical scientists capable of innovating, performing and analyzing a battery of scientific procedures to diagnose, screen, maintain and improve human health. This degree concentration further prepares the pre-health professional (pre-med, pre-vet, pre-pharm) student to obtain entry into health professional schools and biomedical science careers.
The program is offered face to face in Victoria (thesis option) or face to face/ITV in Katy (internship option).
Students must complete a 36 credit hour program with a cumulative final minimum of a ‘B’ in each course, consisting of:
- Twenty-four (24) credit hours of core courses in the first year.
- Twelve (12) credit hours of elective courses in the second year.
- Twelve (12) credit hours of elective courses; or
- Six (6) credit hours of electives, six (6) hours of internship (*see below); or
- Six (6) credit hours of electives, six (6) credit hours of research/thesis (*see below)
C. Internships will consist of 280 total hours of internship work in an approved facility. Students will write a summary of the internship experience and present that summary as an oral presentation for graduation.
D. Research/Thesis will be accomplished with a faculty mentory. Students will be required to complete research, prepare a written thesis manuscript, and present the thesis in an oral defense.
All students enrolled in the program are required to complete 24 hours of core courses listed below before moving on to the second year curriculum.
YEAR 1 - Fall
- BIMS 6311 Biochemistry
- BIMS 6313 Cell & Molecular
- BIMS 6314 Scientific Communications
YEAR 1 - SPRING
- BIMS 6315 Physiology
- BIMS 6312 Research Methods in Science
- BIMS 6321 Pharmacology and Toxicology
YEAR 1 - SUMMER
- BIMS 6316 Biostatistics
- BIMS 6317 Bio Ethics
YEAR 2 - ELECTIVE COURSES
- BIMS 6318 Integrative Human Cardiovascular Control
- BIMS 6319 Neuro Cardiovascular
- BIMS 6320 Bioinformatics
- BIMS 6322 Biochemical and Molecular Genetics
- BIMS 6305 Masters Professional Science Internship *
- BIMS 6399 Faculty-Guided Research/Thesis *
*Faculty and Director Approval required; must be repeated for credit.
For more information about the Biological Sciences Programs, please contact the program director Dr. Hashimul Ehsan.
Academic Advisor (Current students)