Hashimul Ehsan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biology
Phone: (361) 570-4289
Biology Faculty, (2008-2010) State University of New York, Oswego, NY-13126. Courses taught: Molecular Biology (Bio 439), Molecular & Cellular Foundations (Bio 120), Biotechnology (Bio 316) and Genetics ( Bio 301).
As cell division is one of the most fundamental processes in the growth and development from plants to animals but also cell death is a natural part of life. Every day in the human body, 50-70 billion cells die, making room for the equivalent number of new cells produced daily through cell division. I have a broadly trained experience in cell cycle and cell death from my PhD to postdoc period. My research interest would be the molecular and biochemical control of the cell cycle and related processes towards the cell death in different cells. Dr. Ehsan is broadly trained Molecular Biologist and teaches a diversity of existing courses and new courses to compliment to the graduate and undergraduate biology curriculum.
Dr. Ehsan joined the UHV family in August of 2011, and currently serving as a program Director of Biology Graduate Studies since March 2020 (MS in Biomedical Science).
1. Reyes AC., Egwu E, Yu EM, Sanchez AN, De La O L, Elijah OE, Muschalek TJ, Zhang W, Ji H, Ehsan H, Kaneko G* (2021) Forkhead transcription factor O1 (FoxO1) in torafugu pufferfish Takifugu rubripes: molecular cloning, in vitro DNA binding, and target gene screening in fish metagenome. Gene 768, 145335.
2. Yu EM, Yoshinaga T, Jalufka FL, Ehsan H, Mark Welch D*, Kaneko G* (2021) The complex evolution of the metazoan HSP70 gene family. bioRxiv 2020.09.21. doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.09.21.307264.
3. Baptiste M, Moinuddeen SS, Soliz CL, Ehsan H, Kaneko G* (2021) Making sense of genetic information: the promising evolution of clinical stratification and precision oncology using machine learning. Genes 12, 722.
4. Yu EM, Fu B, Wang G, Li Z, Ye D, Ji H, Wang X, Yu D, Ehsan H, Gong W, Zhang K, Tian J, Yu L, Xie J*, Kaneko G* (2020) Proteomic and metabolomic basis for improved textural quality in crisp grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus C.et V) fed with a natural dietary pro-oxidant. Food Chem 325, 126906.
5. Kaneko G, Salinas C, Ehsan H*. (2020) Uphill Battle of CRISPR/Cas9: a budding technology in need of refinement. Biores Commun 6, 859-871.
6. Tegeler, Z., Kaneko, G. & Ehsan, H., (2020) Polymerase Chain Reaction Detection of Genetically Modified Organisms: A Preliminary Survey that Predicts Honest Labeling Under the Mandatory Labeling Law. Texas Public Health Journal (TPHA Journal) Volume 72, Issue 2: 8-12.
7. Hamdoun, Z., Ehsan, H., (2017) Aftermath of the Human Genome Project: An Era of Struggle and Discovery. Turkish Journal of Biology, 41: 403-418.
8. Brown, A., Tavakkoli, A., Loffredo, D. Ehsan, H. (2014) Interactive Level Design for iOS Assignment Delivery: A Case Study. Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics 12(1): 27-38.
9. Ehsan, H., Ray, WK., Phinney B., Wang, X., Huber, SC., and Clouse, SD. (2005) Interaction of Arabidopsis BRASSINOSTEROID-INSENSITIVE 1 receptor kinase with a homolog of mammalian TGF-beta receptor interacting protein. Plant Journal, 43(2):251-61.
10. Ehsan, H., Reichheld JP, Durfee T, Roe JL (2004) TOUSLED kinase activity oscillates during the cell cycle and interacts with chromatin regulators. Plant Physiology 134(4): 1488-99.
11. Ehsan, H., Luc, R., Witters, E., Reichheld, J-P., Inze, D., & Van Onckelen, H. (1999) Indomethacin induced G1/S phase arrest of the plant cell cycle. FEBS letters 458:349-353.
12. Ehsan, H., Reichheld, J-P., Luc, R., Witters, E., Lardon, F., Van Bockstaele, D., Van Montagu, M., Inze, D., & Van Onckelen, H. (1998) Effect of indomethacin on cell cycle dependent cyclic AMP fluxes in tobacco BY-2 cells. FEBS Letters 422:165-169.