3 Ways to Ensure Family Comes First
Naming University of Houston-Victoria as a beneficiary in your will is a simple way to enable the future of our important work. But maybe you’ve hesitated because you’re unsure about how much to give.
Because life is unpredictable and the value of your assets is likely to rise and fall, you don’t want to risk that someday your charitable gift could outweigh the well-being of your family. Fortunately, there’s a solution.
Instead of a fixed amount, consider gifting a percentage of your estate or of specific assets. That way, gifts to loved ones and to organizations such as University of Houston-Victoria remain proportional—no matter how your estate fluctuates.
Here are three simple ways to put family first while supporting those we serve:
- Gift a percentage of your estate to University of Houston-Victoria in your will.
- Leave University of Houston-Victoria a percentage of your residual estate (the portion of your estate that remains after all gifts have been made and all claims of the estate are satisfied).
- Name University of Houston-Victoria as a beneficiary of a percentage of your life insurance policy or retirement account.
Be sure to let us know that you have named us as a beneficiary so we can contact your administrator at the appropriate time and put your gift to work as you intend.
Check Out This Potential Scenario
When Tom and Martha got married, they made a point to put together a will to protect their assets. They both loved University of Houston-Victoria and decided to include a bequest of $75,000 to us in their will.
As Tom and Martha's family grew to include three children, they decided to revise their gift to ensure their children's future financial security. They met with their attorney and simply revised the bequest language so that their gift to University of Houston-Victoria was now a percentage of their estate instead of a specific amount. Tom and Martha now rest easy knowing when they die, their plans will provide for the people and charitable work they love.
Your Gift Matters
Giving a small percentage of your estate can have a bigger impact on University of Houston-Victoria than you might think. If you’ve already named us as a beneficiary, please let us know so we can thank you for your generosity.
- Contact Jesse D. Pisors at (361)570-4829 for additional information on beneficiary designations and how they can help support University of Houston-Victoria with our mission.
- Talk to your financial or legal advisor to learn which assets will or will not trigger taxable income when paid to a beneficiary.
- If you name University of Houston-Victoria in your plans, please use our legal name and Federal Tax ID.
Legal Name: University of Houston-Victoria
Address: 3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria TX 77901
Federal Tax ID Number: 74-6001399
The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. Figures cited in examples are for hypothetical purposes only and are subject to change. References to estate and income taxes include federal taxes only. State income/estate taxes or state law may impact your results.