Flexibility for Military and Veterans
Whether you are an active military, a veteran, a spouse of a veteran, or a dependent, we’re here to help you. The University of Houston-Victoria takes pride in offering timely and accurate information to our servicemen and women. Our flexible schedules make it possible for you to complete a bachelor's or a master’s degree. We’re happy to answer your questions and help you at every step. We honor our veterans and want to do what we can to help them make this process seamless.
The Military Minute is designed to be a weekly series that covers current events that impact our military benefited students. Topics discussed will include: events, programs, the VA, new or changed laws, veteran organizations, and even highlighting individuals that support our student veterans. Watch as UHV’s military liaison tries to cover one topic at a time in close to a minute as he can.
Becoming a Jaguar
Step 1: Connect with us to learn more
- Learn about our programs available or
- Estimate your transfer credits with our
- Email us with your questions at email@example.com
Step 2: Apply for VA Benefits
- Complete the VA Application Benefits (VONAPP)
- Using benefits for the first time: Complete the 22-1990 form
- Transferring benefits: Complete the 22-1995
- Request your DD 214 to be sent to the University of Houston-Victoria
- Submit all benefits documents to our
Office of Financial Aid
University of Houston-Victoria
3007 N. Ben Wilson St.
University West Suite 110
Victoria, TX 77901-5731
Phone: (361) 570-4125 or (877) 970-4848
Fax: (361) 580-5555
Veterans Affairs Certifying Official
Phone: (361) 570-4138
Jeremy is the Certifying Official for the VA. Several members of his family have served as Veterans and he feels it's his duty now to give back to those that have served.
"No one who serves should wonder if there's a future for them in education. It's my duty to see those futures come to pass, and to be there every step of the way for our veterans who want to continue to serve their communities through education."
Step 3: Apply to UHV
Complete an online application and pay the $25 nonrefundable application fee (you may also pay at a later time over the phone or online).
Kevin Derek Tovey
Recruitment Coordinator & Military Liaison
Phone: (281) 396-3784
Derek is a Navy and college veteran. He has utilized many benefits and is well versed in dealing with the VA system. He continues to advocate for all veterans. His passion is to introduce veterans to as many resources and organizations as they need. He believes a veteran is always worth his time and helps transfer and military benefited students get into the door here at UHV. Please reach out to him with any questions regarding military resources, benefits, or ways to transfer to UHV.
- 12 or more college credit hours – Victoria Campus
- 45+ college credit hours – UHV Katy
- 2.0/4.0 scale cumulative GPA – 2.5 for College of Education programs
- Meet Texas Success Initiative requirements
- If under the age of 22, provide proof of bacterial meningitis vaccine
- Application deadline: 05/13/2022
- Document deadline: 05/20/2022
- Payment deadline: 05/31/2022
- Classes begin: 06/06/2022
- Application deadline: 08/05/2022
- Document deadline: 08/10/2022
- Payment deadline: 08/16/2022
- Classes begin: 08/22/2022
Step 4: Request Transcripts
Request your official transcripts to be sent directly to UHV. Electronic transcripts are preferred and they can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mailed official transcripts can be sent to:
University of Houston-Victoria
Office of Admissions
3007 N. Ben Wilson
Victoria, Texas 77901
SMART & AARTS Transcripts
AARTS and SMART transcripts are fully automated documents, endorsed by the American Council on Education (ACE) and generated by the services, that provide an official list of military courses, occupations, and college-level exam scores completed during active duty that have been evaluated by ACE for possible college credit.
- Joint Services Transcript (JST) – For Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard
- Air Force Transcripts For Air Force through the Community College of the Air Force or Air University
If transcripts are from outside of the U.S., the document must be translated and evaluated by a NACES accredited service. International college transcripts evaluation must include a course-by-course evaluation.
Please note that UHV does not accept unofficial, faxed, or emailed transcripts.
Veteran's Affairs students co-enrolled at another institution must inform the UHV VA Certifying Official of their co-enrollment status so a Parent Institution Letter can be initiated.
To continue receiving the VA benefits, students must certify their enrollment electronically with the VA each month: Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.).
Step 5: Connect with Veteran Affairs
Once you are admitted, you will join a community of supportive staff, faculty, alumni, and students who will help you succeed while in college. Get connected with us to learn about the services and resources offered at UHV to military and veteran students. Learn more and get connected at https://www.uhv.edu/veteran-services/.