University of Houston-Victoria


Flexibility for Military and Veterans

Whether you are an active military, a veteran, a spouse of a veteran, or a dependent, we’re here to help you. The University of Houston-Victoria takes pride in offering timely and accurate information to our service men and women. Our flexible schedules make it possible for you to complete a bachelor or a master’s degree. We’re happy to answer your questions and help you at every step. We honor our veterans and want to do what we can to help them make this process seamless.

Becoming a Jaguar

Step 1: Connect with us to learn more

Step 2: Apply for VA Benefits

  • Complete the VA Application Benefits (VONAPP)
    • Using benefits for the first time: Complete the 22-1990 form
    • Transferring benefits: Complete the 22-1995
  • Request your DD 214 to be sent to the University of Houston-Victoria
  • Submit all benefits documents to our financial aid office

University West Suite 110
Phone: (361)570-4125 or (877)970-4848
Fax: (361)580-5555

Step 3: Apply to UHV

Complete an online application and pay the $25 nonrefundable application fee (you may also pay at a later time over the phone or online).

Apply Now

Transfer Requirements

  • 12 or more college credit hours – Victoria Campus
  • 45+ college credit hours – UHV Katy
  • 2.0/4.0 scale cumulative GPA – 2.5 for College of Education programs
  • Meet Texas Success Initiative requirements
  • If under the age of 22, provide proof of bacterial meningitis vaccine

Spring deadlines:

  • Application deadline: 01/05/2022
  • Document deadline: 01/07/2022
  • Payment deadline: 01/11/2022
  • Classes begin: 01/28/2022

Step 4: Request Transcripts

Request your official transcripts to be sent directly to UHV. Electronic transcripts are preferred and they can be sent to

Mailed official transcripts can be sent to:

University of Houston-Victoria
Office of Admissions
3007 N. Ben Wilson
Victoria, Texas 77901

SMART & AARTS Transcripts 

AARTS and SMART transcripts are fully automated documents, endorsed by the American Council on Education (ACE) and generated by the services, that provide an official list of military courses, occupations, and college-level exam scores completed during active duty that have been evaluated by ACE for possible college credit. 

Request your military transcripts

  • Joint Services Transcript (JST) – For Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard
  • Air Force Transcripts – For Air Force through the Community College of the Air Force or Air University

If transcripts are from outside of the U.S., the document must be translated and evaluated by a NACES accredited service. International college transcripts evaluation must include a course-by-course evaluation.

Please note that UHV does not accept unofficial, faxed or emailed transcripts.

VA students co-enrolled at another institution must inform the UHV VA Certifying Official of their co-enrollment status so a Parent Institution Letter can be initiated.

To continue receiving the VA benefits, students must certify their enrollment electronically with the VA each month: Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.).

Step 5: Connect with Veteran Affairs      

Once you are admitted, you will join a community of supportive staff, faculty, alumni, and students who will help you succeed while in college. Get connected with our Military and Veterans Affairs office to learn about the services and resources offered at UHV to military and veteran students.


Veteran Benefits

Ch. 33/ Post 911

  • VA Form 22-1990 (first time) OR 22-1995 (if using benefits and transferring from another school)
  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • DD214
  • Military Transcripts (Joint Service Transcripts)
  • 33 Agreement 

Ch. 35 (Dependents) Child/Spouse

  • VA Form 22-5490 (first time) OR 22-5495 (if using benefits and transferring from another school) 
  • Certificate of Eligibility (this will be mailed to you, the dependent, once the VA Form is turned in to the VA)

Ch. 31 Vocational Rehab Veteran

  • Contact your case manager to submit your request through Tungsten
  • DD214 

Chapter 1606 & 1607 – Military Reserve

  • VA Form 22-1990 (first time) OR 22-1995 (if using benefits and transferring from another school) 
  • Letter from the Company Commander stating your Tuition Assistance

Hazlewood Tuition Exemption

The Hazlewood Exemption is to provide an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans who have exhausted all of their VA Educational Benefits. In accordance with Senate Bill 1210, effective Fall 2014 undergraduate students must have a 2.0 GPA and graduate students must have a 3.0 GPA to be eligible for Hazlewood exemption benefits. 

For question regarding benefits, contact the Veteran Regional Office:

Veterans Administration Regional Office
6900 Almeda Road
Houston, TX 77030
Telephone Number 1-800-827-1000 

College Scholarships For Military Veterans

Various scholarships available to veterans:

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) 

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $4,000 of Financial Assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields.

Spouses can contact MilitaryOneSource for education counseling and help finding alternative funding sources. Call toll free at: 1-800-342-9647.

Click here to learn more about the MyCAA Career Advancement Accounts program.