*THIS PROGRAM IS CURRENTLY ON HOLD*
Granada Intensive Language and Culture Programs
Students will spend six to eight hours daily in small group sessions (five or less) which serve to improve their skills in the Spanish language while learning the fundamentals of cultural communication in a total immersion environment. Small group classes and discussions will help develop knowledge of their host culture by focusing on geography, history, politics, religion, family and traditions. Students will further enhance their skills in, and understanding of, Spanish language and the subtleties of Hispanic culture by examining ever more specific issues in a wide variety of academic areas.
The 12 week semester program is 9 semester credit hours of Spanish plus 6 semester credit hours from UHV via online courses, for a total of 15 semester credit hours.
Experience and research have identified the most important elements of successful study abroad programs. The Spain program incorporates those elements as follows:
- Students take at their level, language and culture courses in Spanish in small groups.
- A variety of cultural enrichment and volunteer activities to insure that students receive a complete immersion in all social layers and economic strata of the host cultures.
- Regular and complete progress toward degree requirements
- By virtue of a consortium agreement students will utilize scholarships and financial aid available to them at their home campus.
Deadline for application: 2 months prior to departure
3, 5, or 12 week course
|Departure Date: any Saturday|
|Start Date: Following Monday|
|Deadline for Payment: 1 month prior to departure|
|Deadline for Application: 2 months prior to departure.|
|3 weeks||5 weeks||12 weeks|
|Receive 3 semester credit hours @ UHV||Receive 6 semester credit hours @ UHV||Receive 12 to 15 semester credit hours @ UHV|
Prices are subject to change
Professional Courses are slightly higher.
All students are required to have a valid
International student I.D.
$250 deposit to UHV. All checks, forms and correspondence must be submitted or sent to:
UHV - School of Arts and Sciences
University West, Rm. 206
3007 N. Ben Wilson
Victoria, TX 77901
Apply for any appropriate scholarships, loans, etc.
Complete and submit the following forms.
Texas Common Application (Non-UHV students for credit hours)
Course Articulation Form (Students must speak to their advisor prior to applying)
Post Application ProcessPre-departure Orientation
The program fee INCLUDES:
- Program fees to Enforex
- Registration and wire transfer fees
- A required International Student Identification Card (ISIC)
- Books and materials
- UHV Undergraduate Tuition for appropriate semester hours
- Ground transfers from Airport to Granada and return
- Half room and board in a double occupancy home stay
This fee DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- International flight to Granada: Flight must be booked by students. (Important: BOOK EARLY)
- Excursions while in Granada
- Laundry - average cost about five dollars a week
- Spending money
Dates & Events
Coffee With A Cop - 1/8/2015
First Steps to Starting Your Own Business - 1/8/2015
Museum of the Coastal Bend - Cattle Drive - 1/10/2015
Coffee With A Cop - 1/15/2015
Monthly Meeting of the Crossroads Astronomy Club - 1/19/2015
Coffee With A Cop - 1/22/2015