Disability Procedures and Guidelines


Federal and state law requires that information regarding your disability remains confidential. Every effort will be made to preserve your privacy and to treat you with the same dignity and courtesy accorded all other students in the classroom.

University Policy on Accommodations with Disabilities

In accordance with Section 504 of the federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and American with Disabilities Act of 1990, the University of Houston-Victoria endeavors to make reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities to participate in all educational programs and activities. Whenever a reasonable accommodation is necessary for access or participation in University courses or services, the faculty and/or departments responsible for the courses or service will work with the Student Services Office, along with federal and state agencies to ensure that reasonable accommodations are made.

The University assumes no responsibility for personal assistance necessary for independent living or for specialized medical care. Students requiring personal attendants or mobility assistants must employ such persons at their own expense before completion of registration. Students requiring specialized medical care should be prepared to bear the expense of this care through a general hospital or a private physician/clinic of their choice.

Procedures for Academic Accommodations

If you are taking courses from the University of Houston-Victoria, you may receive accommodations through established University guidelines. Accommodations apply only to course procedures and processes, not to course content.

  1. Identify yourself to the Coordinator of Student Services and provide documentation of the disability. This step must be completed prior to any accommodations being made in the classroom.
  2. Talk with your instructor(s) early in the semester or preferably before the semester to discuss your requested accommodations.
  3. Meet with the Coordinator of Student Services in Victoria or the Coordinator of Student Services in Sugar Land to discuss and decide upon reasonable accommodations.
  4. Review and sign the Student Accommodation Form. This form will contain all accommodations that have been deemed reasonable and necessary. You and your instructor(s) will sign this form verifying that everyone understands the accommodations that will be made.
  5. Contact the Student Services Office during the semester if any other accommodations seem necessary.
  6. Notify the Student Services Office immediately if you withdraw from a course(s).
  7. Contact the Coordinator of Student Services each semester to continue receiving accommodations.

Appropriate Disability Documentation

If you request an accommodation, you need to voluntarily provide documentation of your disability to the Student Services Office. Student Services will use appropriate sources of documentation including information from appropriate medical personnel (e.g., ophthalmologists, optometrists, physicians), mental health professionals (e.g. psychologists, psychiatrists), or state agencies (e.g., Texas Commission for the Blind, Texas Rehabilitation Commission). Any medical documentation submitted for review must not be more than 36 months old (3 years).

Emergency Evacuation Procedures

In the event of an emergency situation requiring evacuation from the building, the safe exit of every individual will be a priority. As first choice, the wheelchair occupant or other persons with a disability may attempt to use the elevator, although in a fire, elevators will be inoperable. These students should then move to the nearest marked exit. If further help is needed, the student may request assistance from the faculty member.

Civic Engagement


Jaguar Activity Board

Parent Programming

Student Development

Student Organizations