Academic Council Meeting Minutes-February 17, 2010


Dr. Suzanne LaBrecque

Dr. Jeffrey Di Leo

Dr. Kathryn Tart

Ms. Trudy Wortham

Ms. Carolyn Mallory

Ms. Chari Norgard

Dr. Denee Thomas

Mr. Joe Ferguson

Dr. Cindy Schnebly

Dr. Joe Dahlstrom

Dr. Margaret Rice

Mr. Chris Buford

Ms. Jane Mims (attending for Dr. Farhang Niroomand)

Dr. Mary Natividad (attending for Dr. Larry Rossow)


Guest: Ms. Elois Kraatz





I.                   Review of Minutes-January 20, 2010 meeting

Minutes were approved as circulated.


II.                General

A.     Downward Expansion

Ms. Chari Norgard informed the group that her department’s main priority is recruiting applicants and they have developed a calling system that will assist them in doing so.   There are three groups within their calling system:

1.      Database contacts-which are high school students who are interested in UHV, but have yet to apply. Her staff is calling this group between 4:00pm-7:00pm.

2.      Students on the incomplete list- Chari’s department is working closely with Arts & Sciences, and actually Alma Alvarado and Ashlee Wassick are making all the calls to this group.  If Alma and Ashlee are not able to keep up with the amount of calls that need to be made, they may contact the SoEHD and SBA to help.

3.      Freshman students who are already admitted-Magen Besancon and Ashlee Wassick in the SoAS are contacting this group of students.


Scripts were not created for those making the calls to the students, but talking points were created instead.


They are still looking for a dorm management company, so students are not able to sign dorm      contracts yet.  However, they have created a form that allows students to reserve a dorm room.  They are asking students to sign a letter of intent, to let them know if they will be registering at UHV in the Fall.


Dr. Jeffrey Di Leo mentioned that the staff members in Arts and Sciences who are making the calls to students are keeping track of their calls on a spreadsheet.


Ms. Norgard noted that the priority is to have a list of students who plan to register for Fall 2010 for the May 18, 2010 Board of Regents Meeting. 


Dr. Suzanne LaBrecque informed the group that Dr. Hudson has charged Student Success and Enrollment with making recruiting their main priority from February 15th-April 15th.


Ms. Norgard noted that she distributed via email a Texas county map showing the areas that UHV’s current applicants are from. She is also finalizing the draft of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) plan. Wayne’s office is working to complete the Request for Funding Proposal (RFP) for the Dorm Management company. 


Ms Norgard reported that the Campaign Victoria goal is to raise $250,000, but they are trying to exceed that amount to have more money for the incoming freshman. Dr. Hudson requested a list of all vendors the university uses, so our Development department can ask if they would want to make a contribution to UHV. UHV may also be starting a telethon and calls will be made by current UHV students.  


Dr. LaBrecque recommended that Dr. Cindy Schnebly request that Ms. Norgard come to the next Faculty Senate meeting to inform the faculty of future plans.


Ms. Norgard noted that she is finalizing the final review process for freshman applicants. There are currently 40 students in the review process. It will begin next week.


Ms. Jane Mims asked where the students are falling short.


Ms. Trudy Wortham mentioned it could be for a number of reasons, such as rank and class, SAT score, the different grading scales from the different high schools, etc.


Dr. Margaret Rice inquired about the cost of attendance.


Ms. Carolyn Mallory informed the group that the cost of attendance at UHV for a full-time student who lives off campus is $19,226.  The cost of attendance at UHV for a full-time student who lives with their parents ranges from $12,000-$15,000.


Ms. Mims asked if UHV plans on placing a tuition calculator on their website.


Ms. Mallory informed her that there currently is one on the website, but it is not reflective of freshman information.


Ms. Mims asked if freshman students are required to speak to an advisor before they are able to enroll at UHV.


Ms. Norgard confirmed that they are required to speak to an advisor and to attend orientation.


Ms. Mims asked if UHV will be requiring students to take a placement test.


Dr. Di Leo noted that UHV will be using Accuplacer, which is an on line test that looks at math, reading, and writing.  Ashley is looking at other Universities who use this same test.  This test will help determine whether to allow the students to start freshman classes or begin development education classes. He is not sure at this point if UHV will admit students who require developmental education classes.


Dr. Suzanne LaBrecque asked Ms. Mallory if those students requiring developmental education are counted as full-time students. Ms. Mallory noted that Financial Aid can fund them with 30 hours of developmental education classes.


Ms. Norgard informed the group that VC uses the Compass placement test. When a student takes that test, they are not able to take it again for thirty days.  She is working on an agreement in place with VC that if their students need to take a placement test for prior to the thirty days, they can come and take the Accuplacer or quick Thea here at UHV, and our students can do the same with their placement tests.


Dr. LaBrecque encouraged those who live in Victoria to share within their circle of influence the way UHV and VC are working together.


Dr. Verhasselt shared with the group that as UHV develops new policies, SACS is concerned that we follow and have a rationale for those policies.


Dr. Cindy Schnebly noted that UHV policies will be tweaked and changed as our SACS visit gets closer.


Dr. Verhasselt asked if UHV was planning on having students registered before they leave orientation.


Dr. Di Leo confirmed that the goal is to have the students registered by the end of orientation. In reading, writing and math, there will be an internal mechanism in place to show continuous improvement.



B.     Enrollment Management

                                                                          i.      Admissions-Trudy Wortham

Ms.Wortham wanted to get a decision from the council regarding Temporary Graduate Admissions.  Currently holders of F-1 visas are not eligible to be a temporary grad and she wanted to know if UHV will allow a student to still be considered a temporary grad if they reside outside of the United States. 


Ms. Elois Kraatz noted that it will affect the MAIS program and also the SoEHD programs that are on-line.  There needs to be a formal business process in place.


It was decided by the Deans and the Provost, those students who reside outside of the United States will be granted temporary graduate status at UHV, with the understanding that if the student decides to enter the country to complete their studies they must be fully approved into the graduate program. It was also decided that the wording in the catalog will be changed to, “students who reside outside the U.S.”


                                                                        ii.      Financial Aid-Carolyn Mallory

Ms. Mallory reported that as of February 17, 2010, $8.4 million have been given in financial aid for the spring 2010 term.  In comparison to the Fall 2008-Spring 2009 Financial Aid disbursements, the office has disbursed more than 1.8 million more during the Fall 2009 and Spring 2010 term. It is a thirty-seven percent increase. She also noted that approximately ninety percent of the financial aid has been disbursed. 


Ms. Mallory brought handouts showing the changes made to the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.  She noted that in section, that the maximum credit hours for post baccalaureate students have been changed from 100 to 45.  Dr. Kathryn Tart stated that the SON needs 60 hours in their Second Degree BSN program.   Ms. Mallory will take that information to the SAP Committee to increase the number of hours.


Ms. Mallory asked the council to make a decision on whether or not the Financial Aid office should continue to load FAFSA for applicants, along with the current students.  There was much discussion on how this will effect UHV’s recruitment of incoming freshman.  FAFSAs for admitted students will be loaded.  It was also decided that Financial Aid can load prospective student FAFSAs who absolutely need to know the amount of financial aid they could be awarded. Ms. Mallory recommended that students use the financial aid estimator found on the UHV Financial Aid web page to find out the approximate amount of financial aid they could be awarded.


Ms. Mallory asked the council if UHV wanted to have one flat fee for the cost of room and board, no matter what the student’s enrollment status is.  It was decided by the council that the cost of room and board should be one flat fee.  Ms. Mallory informed the group that she will bring the amount of the flat rate to the next meeting.  


                                                                      iii.      LEAD and Student Recruitment-Dr. Denee Thomas

Dr. Thomas announced that JAG Day planning is progressing.  She will keep the group updated.


Dr. Thomas informed the group that her department will be looking to fill a San Antonio recruiter position.


Dr. Tart asked if LEAD has been visiting high schools.


Dr. Thomas confirmed that they were and Dr. Tart requested to be informed of those events so that she can possibly attend one of them, particularly interested in the Dulles High School in the Houston area.


C.     Information Technology-Mr. Joe Ferguson

Mr. Ferguson informed the group that the exterior door locks will be activated next week.  He noted that faculty and staff should hold onto their current exterior keys until Facilities determines what they may do. If someone loses their ID badge, it can be deactivated.  There is not a replacement fee for ID badges the first time an individual loses theirs, but after that, it costs $5. 


Mr. Ferguson reminded the group that HR issues the card and Facilities approves access to the buildings.


Ms. Wortham inquired about who determines who gets inside/outside access.  Mr. Ferguson informed her that the department head makes that determination.


Mr. Ferguson informed the group that there have been requests for iPhone applications.  He is requesting that the group send him suggestions on what they would like to see in the UHV application.


Mr. Chris Buford did not have any Blackboard updates.


D.     Provost Office Updates-Dr. Holly Verhasselt

Dr. Holly Verhasselt announced that the 5th Year Interim Report is completed and will be sent off by the March 15th deadline. 


Dr. Suzanne LaBrecque thanked Dr. Verhasselt for hard work and dedication towards this report.


Dr. Verhasselt informed the group that SACS does not have any requirements for the new Certificate Programs, but the Coordinating Board (CB) does.  The CB needs to be notified and she had a handout showing the required form that needs to be filled out. 


E.     Library-Dr. Joe Dahlstrom

Mr. Dahlstrom informed the group that the Library now has Aquabrowser available as an alternate way to search the catalog.


F.      Presidents Office Updates-Dr. Margaret Rice

Dr. Rice announced that there will be a PRAB meeting, Tuesday, March 2, 2010.  She requested that council members utilize her as a resource to inform community groups, boards, etc. about the University’s need for growth. She also informed the group that the Chancellor of UH will be on a panel dealing with the DN3 program.


G.    Other

Dr. Di Leo announced that the Board of Regents approved the MA in Forensic Psychology.



III.             Specific


A.     Student Issues

1.      None


B.     Consent Calendar/Faculty Development Grant Requests and Reports

1.      Approved an FY10 conference grant in the amount of $507.48 for Dr. Timothy Berkey to present at the International Conference Education, Economy & Society in Paris, France on July 21-24, 2010.

2.      Approved an FY10 conference grant in the amount of $750.00 for Dr. Horace Fairlamb to present at the 2010 Toward a Science of Consciousness in Tuscan, AZ on April 13-17, 2010.

3    Approved an FY10 conference grant in the amount of $420.00 for Dr. Horace Fairlamb to present at the South Central Society for the 18th Century Studies in Salt Lake City, Utah on February 25-27, 2010.

4.   Approved an FY10 conference grant in the amount of $895.42 for Dr. Yong Glasure to present at the 2010 Annual Meeting of Southwestern Society of Economists in Dallas, TX on March 2-3, 2010.

5.   Approved an FY10 conference grant in the amount of $860.00 for Dr. Linda Hayes to present at the Federation of Business Disciplines Conference in Dallas, TX on March 2-6, 2010.

6.   Approved an FY10 conference grant in the amount of $1170.00 for Dr. Rachel Martinez to present at the Council of Exceptional Children Convention and Expo in Nashville, TN on April 21-24, 2010.

7.   Approved an FY10 conference grant in the amount of $1120.00 for Dr. Randy Reed to present at the 2010 International Conference of the Association of Global Management Studies in Las Vegas, NV on February 24-25, 2010.

8.   Approved an FY10 conference grant in the amount of $1170.00 for Dr. Anitra Shelton-Quinn to present at the National Association of School Psychologists Convention in Chicago, IL on March 2-6, 2010.

9.   Approved an FY10 conference grant in the amount of $ 1170.00 for Dr. Angela Willis to present at the 9th Annual International Nursing Simulation/Learning Resource Centers Conference in Las Vegas, NV on June 17-19, 2010.

10.   Approved an FY10 conference grant in the amount of $1000.00 for Dr. Qi Zhu to present at the 2010 Southwest Decision Sciences Institute Meeting in Dallas, TX on March 2-6, 2010.



As recorded by,

Tessa Naff