PRESIDENTS REGIONAL ADVISORY BOARD
December 4, 2012
Members Present: Alcorn, Butler, Cain, Castille, Herman, Leatherwood, Loeb, O’Connor, Rachid, Rollins, Saenz, Shutt, Walker, Weber, Welder and Williams
Absent: Espinoza, Garrett, Hyde, Jacob, McCrohan, Parikh, Salazar and Scott
UHV Attendees: : Matt Alexander, Wayne Beran, Jeffrey Cass, Paula Cobler, Faye Landry, Amy Mundy, Margaret Rice, Jeremy Shapiro, Kathryn Tart, Katy Waltersheidt and Kathy Walton
I. Welcome and Introductions
Chair Richard Weber called the meeting to order.
II. Thank you from The Castilles and UHV
President Castille presented a gift to the President’s Regional Advisory Board members (UHV umbrella and charging station for cell phones) as a token of appreciation for their service. He also announced the holiday reception that will follow this meeting at The Castille’s home at 403 Turtle Rock in Victoria.
III. Organizational Business
- Approval of Minutes – • Approval of Minutes – Omar Rachid moved that the minutes from the September 11, 2012 President’s Regional Advisory Board meeting be approved as written and Marjorie Loeb seconded the motion.
Motion Carried Unanimously
- Margaret Rice, Chief of Staff, presented the Department of Justice Grant Report which is a 3- year $300,000 grant:
- Logo – Recognize, Report and Reclaim
- Purpose: To develop and strengthen effective security and investigation strategies to combat sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking on campus, and to develop and strengthen victim services in cases involving these crimes against women on campus.
- Three positions are supported by this grant:
- Elena Torres, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, - Victim Advocate, UHV Victim Intervention & Prevention (VIP) Program
- Riise Hege, Ph.D., Counselor, University Counseling Center
- Sworn Peace Officer – Unfilled at this time but UH is going to partner with our campus security
- Must statements:
- Create a coordinated community response to violence against women on campus through partnerships with specific community based organizations and partnerships within the university. (Community Response Taskforce and Coordinated Crisis Response Team)
- Establish a mandatory prevention and education program about sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking for all incoming students, working in collaboration with campus and community-based victim advocacy organizations and accounting for participation of each student (Mandatory Training during Jaguar Journey, Freshmen Seminar, and Online Webinar).
- Train all campus law enforcement to respond effectively in sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, and stalking cases.
- Establish or strengthen programs to train all members of campus disciplinary boards to respond effectively to charges of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
- Dr. Kathryn Tart, Dean School of Nursing (SON) handed out the “2012 Cool News” mail out which gave an overview of the School of Nursing and their website information. This will be sent to over 640 American Association College of Nursing schools.
- Spring 2011 –
- Friends of Nursing organization formed: Finals care packages, hot meal during finals, breakfast during finals, coffee with the Dean in Victoria, Sugar Land, Cinco Ranch and The Woodlands, ice cream social in Sugar Land and Victoria, welcome breakfast in The Woodlands.
- Summer 2012
- Started the RN-BSN program in The Woodlands with Lone Star College System at the University Center. Started with 20 students in fall and have possible 30 students in the Spring 2013.
- Fall 2012 –
- Two nursing faculty were promoted to Associate Professor and awarded tenure.
- UHV SON became the 53rd Institutional Member of the Texas Medical Center.
- The SON obtained full approval from the Texas Board of Nursing with a 93.33% NCLEX-RN first time pass rate of the Second Degree BSN program.
- The SON has 47% of the research and grants funding for UHV.
- Overall –
- 412 alumni with 91 graduates for December 2012;
- 3 year Undergraduate graduation rates: 79%, 84%, 76%;
- 3 year Undergraduate employment rates: 88%, 96%, 93%;
- 3 year Graduate graduation rates: 57%, 35%, 15%;
- 3 year Graduate employment rates: 100% each year;
- 100% of our employers who responded to an employer survey would hire a UHV SON graduate again.
- Wish List – Need approval for the Family Nurse Practitioner program from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
- Amy Mundy, Interim Director of University Advancement (UA) reported Presidential Scholarships raised through PRAB $27,000 + $10,000 other areas of the University. UA hired Andrea Dry as Associate Director of Annual Giving and Alumni. UA has received the following grants: $60,000 George Foundation; $500,000 Johnson Foundation; and $50,000 Vivian L. Smith Foundation. A total of $685,000 from private gifts. Claude Jacob Golf Tournament will benefit UHV golf program – 30 teams so far will compete in Victoria at the Victoria Country Club and Colony Creek Club. Speaker at the banquet: Dr. David Cook, one of the country’s top peak performance coaches and seminar leaders. He recently released his first performance novel, Golf’s Sacred Journey: Seven Days at the Links of Utopia. Shared pictures of the Christmas parade with jaX, our mascot with about 20 athletes participating. Letters will be sent out to over 13,000 alumni for the 40/40 Annual Giving Campaign in January to celebrate our UHV 40th Anniversary. We are asking for $40.00 from every UHV alumni. PRAB could help by sending names to the Advancement Office.
- Dr. Phil Castille, President, remarks:
- Legislative Issues:
- Texas Grants are going to be reduced by 2/5 (40%) and spread over eight (8) semesters, according to a recommendation made by Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). Most Texas high school students require state financial aid to attend college, so reducing the funding pool will shrink the amount of aid available at a time when need is growing and enrollment is expanding. 70% of our students that were admitted fall in the poor category. Former Senate Higher Education Chair Judith Zaffirini spoke against this reduction at the TAB forum, but she was in the minority among legislators in attendance. Performance Base Funding – 10% will be proposed of overall appropriations although 25% is a possibility. The measures suggested by THECB tend to benefit the largest and richest public universities. Dr. Castille said that he would like to see performance measures that are better suited to the work and mission of regional public universities like UHV, which take in more at-risk students, provide more costly supplemental instruction, have fewer full time students taking 15-18 credits per semester, take in more transfer students, and have fewer students who can graduate in 4 or even 6 years. Dr. Castille said that Chancellor Khator and the UH System leadership are also concerned about what the appropriate accountability measures should be and will have discussions about them with key lawmakers. Graduate students in four (4) years: UT – 53%; Texas A&M – 51%; the rest of the universities fall below these standards. Only 15% of college students complete a 2 year degree. Average students that graduate with a baccalaureate degree have 147 credit hours. Over 579 graduates have indicated their plans to participate in commencement on December 15, 2012, our largest number to date. Dr. Jeffrey Cass will e-mail these performance categories to PRAB members for STEM and number of degrees. Dr. Margaret Rice will email speaking points about legislative issues to the PRAB.
Elena Torres has gone to every freshmen seminar class to introduce herself and provide relevant program information. We’ve already had several “out cries” from students.
The meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m. followed by a Holiday Reception at Dr. and Mrs. Phil Castille’s home.
Submitted by: F. Landry
Get your 2014 Baseball Season Tickets! - 1/10/2014
ACS - Relay for Life - Team Captain Meetings - 1/14/2014
DOJ Taskforce - 1/16/2014
Four UHV students win top prize at MBA Conference - 12/19/2013
UHV graduate student earns top student award - 12/18/2013