PRESIDENTS REGIONAL ADVISORY BOARD
December 7, 2010
Members Present: Alcorn, Cain, Clapp, Duncan, Jacob, Leatherwood, Marshall, OConnor, Rachid, Salazar, Smith, Villafranca, Walker, Weber and Williams
Absent: Baynum, Butler, Herman, Hyde, Jaso, McCrohan, Parikh and Rubio
UHV Attendees: Wayne Beran, Faye Landry, Kevin Myers, Margaret Rice, Kathy Walton and Mark Zafereo
- Welcome and Introductions
Chair Janet Leatherwood called the meeting to order.
Randy Clapp moved that the minutes from the September 14, 2010 Presidents Regional Advisory Board meeting be approved as written and Keith Williams seconded the motion.
Motion Carried Unanimously
- Presentation – Freshman Profile
Dr. Smith started the meeting announcing UHV ranks on top in a national survey conducted by the College Portrait of undergraduate education seniors. He explained that when seniors at Texas four-year public colleges and universities were asked if given a chance to start over, would they attend the same school, UHV ranked first in Texas with 96% satisfaction among seniors.
Dr. Smith informed the Board that 2.5% or $380,000 will be moved out of the budget for the remainder of this year to address the state budget reductions by the State of Texas. UHV has already sent $650,000 this year.
Dr. Rice commented that 479 out of 582 graduates will be attending graduation at the Merrell Center in Katy, TX.
Dr. Smith presented a PowerPoint presentation on the Freshmen Profile that covered:
- Freshman Recruiting
- Freshman Profile – Number of Freshmen
- Regions Students Came From
- Education Level of Parents
- Household Income
- Student Count by School
- Most Popular Majors
- Financial Aid
- Type of Financial Aid Disbursed
- Number of Athletics
- Retention Efforts
- Retention Data
- Board Discussion
- Ms. Jan Jacob gave a report from Crossroads Commission on Education. The Scholarship Committee made a trip to Amarillo to see a scholarship model profile. This scholarship committee is working on a final model that will be used across the state to submit to the Crossroads Commission on Education.
- Career Pathway charts are still being worked on by Victoria ISD, Victoria College and UH-Victoria.
- No final report is ready from the Commission.
- Dr. Don Smith spoke on issues related to the future of UHV. UH System is aware that none of us can foretell the future. We are not able to project enrollment yet with just one semester of the lower division of students. Victoria College is growing and Caterpillar will cause additional growth in Victoria.
- Dr. Smith has been meeting with freshman students in Jaguar Hall for lunch on a weekly basis. Students seem reasonably pleased, certainly with the academic aspect, but complain there is not enough to do.
Richard Weber, Vice Chair, thanked Don Smith and Jan Jacob for putting together the documents and keeping the Board informed.
- Jaguar Hall
Wayne Beran gave a PowerPoint presentation on Jaguar Hall. One year and three days ago he said UHV brought this property, Jaguar Hall. The architects started in January 2010 and worked three months followed by Kruger Construction in April. His presentation covered:
- Budget Comparison for the Life of the Project
- Comparison: Cost per gross square foot
- Photos of Jaguar Hall before and after completion
- Nancy Garner, Woolson Real Estate, manages all apartments around the university and is working with UHV on housing for sophomores next year.
- UHV is buying the blue building at the back entrance to Jaguar Hall. This building will be used for facilities storage
- Parent Networks
Margaret Rice gave a report on several parent organizations, saying they ranged from loosely structured and housed with a university department to highly structured autonomous organizations that collaborate with university student departments.
- University of Texas at Austin serves as a liaison between parents and university
- University of Houston manages from Student Affairs – very loose structure
- Texas A & M University at Corpus – Development department raises funds used in university scholarships
- Texas Tech – four membership levels and very structured and has chapters throughout the state
- University of Houston-Victoria has a website for parents. Our first newsletters went out last week.
The time of the Presidents Regional Advisory Board was requested to be moved back to 2:00 p.m. due to travel distances for some members.
The meeting adjourned at 4:10 p.m. The Board took a tour of Jaguar Hall.
Submitted by: F. Landry
Basic Accounting for the Non-Accountant - 9/23/2014
UHV Degree information Session - 9/24/2014
Grow Your Business Online Beeville - 9/25/2014
UHV / American Book Review Reading Series - 9/25/2014
Women's Soccer @ Faulkner University - 9/26/2014
Men's Soccer @ Faulkner University - 9/26/2014
Women's Soccer @ Auburn University Montgomery - 9/28/2014
New UHV Staff Council chair takes reins - 09/11/2014