Skip to Main Content
UHV Logo
University of Houston - Victoria

Distance Education
Out-of-State Authority

The US Department of Education has clarified that universities must always be authorized to operate by the state, in every state which the university operates. That means that universities may need to seek authorization to operate in each state in which a student is resident.

Most UHV students are residents of Texas. Additionally, UHV is either authorized or exempt from seeking authorization in many other US states. Regulations governing state authorization and interstate agreements change frequently. For information about UHV’s status in a particular state, please contact the Office of Institutional Effectiveness at

Complaint Resolution

As part of the process, UHV is required to provide current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints.

  1. For complaints regarding grades, course requirements and course procedures follow applicable UHV policies in the Student Handbook and Catalog.
  2. If an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with your state. The Student Complaint Information by Stage and Agency provides phone number, email and/or links to state education agencies.
  3. University of Houston is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The SACS site provides complaint procedures against the commission or its accredited institutions.