Skip to Main Content
UHV Logo
University of Houston-Victoria

Office of Financial Aid

Cash Course Logo

Financial Aid
Priority Deadlines: 

Fall - March 15

Spring - October 15

Summer - March 15


First Possible Disbursement Dates:

The dates below show when aid can first be applied to a student's account.  If the aid is more than the charges, refunds will be calculated the following day.  Refunds are then sent to students according to the refund preferences set up on the Jaguar Card.

Fall 2015 Regular Session and 1st 8 Week Session – August 17, 2015

Fall 2015 2nd 8 Week Session – October 1, 2015

Spring 2016 Regular Session and 1st 8 Week Session – January 11, 2016

Spring 2016 2nd 8 Week Session – March 21, 2016

Summer 2016 Regular Session, 8 Week and 1st 5 Week Session – May 23, 2016

Summer 2016 2nd 5 Week Session – July 5, 2016

Disbursements occur Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
All documentation must be completed prior to disbursement.



UH-Victoria is approved by the Texas Education Agency for VA educational benefits for veterans, children and spouses under Chapters 32 and 35, Title 38, U.S. Code. 

Student veterans may receive assistance in applying for benefits from the Office of Financial Aid. To expedite payments, veterans should contact the Office of Financial Aid at least 60 days prior to the first class day of each semester or term to complete all necessary paper work for that period of study. VA enrollment is certified up to 10 days prior to the first class day of each semester.

Texas veterans who have no eligibility remaining under any program of the United States government may be eligible for exemption of tuition and certain fees under the provisions of the Hazelwood Act. Additional information on the Hazelwood Act can be found in the section of the catalog bearing that name.

Post 9/11 GI Bill

Effective August 2009, the enactment of a new educational assistance program, the Post 9/11 GI Bill, also known as Chapter 33, will be offered at the University of Houston-Victoria.  Chapter 33 was created for veterans and service members who served at least 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and dependents of certain service members. The program allows for three separate benefit payments for most students: 1) a tuition and fees payment, which covers a percentage of tuition costs up to the highest in-state undergraduate tuition rate at a public university in the state in which the student is enrolled; 2) a monthly housing allowance equal to the Department of Defense Basic Allowance for Housing provided to service members at the E-5 pay grade with dependents within the same zip code as the student's school, and 3) a book and supplies stipend of up to $1000 per year.  Tuition and fee payments will be sent directly to UHV.


Application Procedures

VA Forms and Publications are available at

Veterans who have received VA benefits at a different institution prior to attending UHV must complete Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) before their first semester of VA Benefits will be certified at UHV.

Dependents of disabled or deceased parents (Chapter 35) need to complete the Form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance).

Chapter 30, Chapter 33, Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607 Veterans who will be applying for VA Benefits for the first time must complete the Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits).

Chapter 31 veterans have his or her Regional VA Counselor send the VA Form 22-1905.

All Chapter 30 and 1606 veterans applying for benefits must submit a copy of his/her DD-214 and a signed UHV degree plan.  First term students will not have a degree plan set up yet. It is strongly advised to meet with the degree plan counselor to get this plan completed before the end of the first term.  If a degree plan has not been submitted, VA benefits for the next term will not be certified.

Information about military transcripts and how to request the transcripts is available from each branch of the military.

    ARMY (AARTS Transcript):

    NAVY & MARINE CORPS (SMART Transcript):

    AIR FORCE  (CCAF Transcript):

    COAST GUARD (CGI Transcript):

VA students co-enrolled at another institution must inform the UHV VA Certifying Official of their co-enrollment status so a Parent Institution Letter can be initiated.

To continue receiving the VA benefits, students must certify their enrollment electronically with the VA each month.  The Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) site is

For additional information contact: Ruby Dean, VA Certifying Official

Office of Financial Aid
University of Houston-Victoria
3007 N Ben Wilson Rm 110 UW
Victoria, TX 77901-5731
Telephone Number 361-570-4129

- OR -

Veterans Administration Regional Office
6900 Almeda Road
Houston, TX 77030
Telephone Number 1-800-827-1000

College Scholarships For Military Veterans
The Marines' Memorial Association is an organization that is open to veterans and active duty personnel of all military branches who served honorably in the military and in April 2014 the organization will award $35,000 in scholarships to our U.S. Military Veterans from all branches.

The deadline for the scholarship application, which can be completed online, is April 23, 2014.

The following 2 Scholarship Programs are open to all veterans and do not require a membership to the Marines Memorial Association to apply:

Five of these Hammer Family Scholarships are available in the amount of $5,000 each. All eligible U.S. Veterans who wish to study in the fields of Math, Statistics, Chemistry, Physics, or Engineering (Aerospace, Civil, Computer, Electrical, Industrial, Manufacturing, Materials, or Mechanical) are welcome to apply. James and Linda Hammer are Benefactor Members of the Marines' Memorial Association and are eager to assist student Veterans committed to advancing their education. Link to the Hammer Family Scholarship online Application on the Marines Memorial Association’s  Website:

Four of these Memorial Tribute Scholarships are available in the amount of $2,500 each. The Tribute Scholarship is available for military personnel leaving full time service and entering an undergraduate college program. All US military personnel who have transitioned from Active Duty to reserve or civilian status within the past 3 years may apply. Link to The Tribute Scholarship online Application on the Marine Club website:  

Website for The Marines' Memorial Association:
For More Information about our Scholarships, call the Marines' Memorial Association directly at: (415) 830-9820.


Scholarships for Children of Fallen Service Members

The children of military personnel who died in the line of duty since Sept. 11, 2001 can apply for an educational scholarship similar to the new Post 9/11 GI Bill.  Benefits are retroactive to Aug. 1, 2009.  VA will begin paying benefits on August 1, 2010.

 VA begins accepting applications for the Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship on May 1, 2010.  For more information or assistance applying, call toll-free 1-888-GIBILL (1-888-442-4551) or visit the VA GI Bill Website at

The VA estimates that nearly 1,500 children will receive benefits under the Fry scholarship program in 2010.  The scholarship will cover tuition and fees up to the highest amounts charged at public, in-state students at undergraduate institutions in each state.  A monthly housing allowance and stipend for books and supplies are also paid under the program.  Recipients are entitled to 36 months of benefits at the 100 percent level.  Eligible children may be married.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) 

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $4,000 of Financial Assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields.

Spouses can contact MilitaryOneSource for education counseling and help finding alternative funding sources. Call toll free at: 1.800.342.9647.

Click here to learn more about the MyCAA Career Advancement Accounts program.

Learn more about Spouse Employment opportunities and programs.

National Resource Directory

The National Resource Directory website is an excellent resource for connecting wounded warriors, service members, Veterans, their families and caregivers with those who support them.  The website includes information on:  Benefits & Compensation, Education & Training, Employment, Family & Caregiver Support, Health, Homeless Assistance, Housing, Transportation & Travel, Volunteer Opportunities and Other Services and Resources.

Hazlewood Tuition Exemption

The Hazlewood Exemption is to provide an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans who have exhausted all of their VA Educational Benefits. The criteria is as follows:

  • Are Texas residents
  • were Texas residents at the time they entered the U. S. Armed Forces
  • Have served at least 181 days of active military duty, excluding basic training
  • Have received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions
  • Have used up all his/her federal education benefits available for the semester for which he/she is enrolled (GI/Montgomery Bill)
  • Are not in default on a federal education loan or a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas; and
  • Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its costs), unless the college’s governing board has ruled to let veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses.
  • Beginning Summer 2006, all new applicants must have been citizens of the United States at the time of entry into the military (documentation will be required).

The benefit may not be used for correspondence courses unless the courses are part of the student's degree plan.

Hazlewood applicants must provide the Bursar's Office with a copy of his or her DD-214, letter from the Muskogee, OK Office stating that the student not eligible for any VA Benefits, and the Hazlewood application.

All dues, fees, and charges, including fees for correspondence courses but excluding property deposit fees, student service fees, and any fees or charges for lodging, board, or clothing. No funds may be used to pay tuition for continuing education classes for which the college receives no state tax support.

Hazlewood Exemption forms are available at or on the UHV Financial Aid Forms website.

To log into the database to view the hours taken toward the 150 hour limit, go to

Hazelwood Decision

 On January 26, 2015, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas-Houston Division ruled that a portion of the Hazelwood Act was unconstitutional.  That provision requires veterans to have been a Texas resident at the time they entered military service in order to receive exemptions of tuition and fees at Texas public institutions of higher education.

 The office of the Attorney General is currently reviewing the decision and may appeal the ruling. In the interim, current Hazelwood eligibility requirements remain unchanged pending appeal and legislative action, except for the individual specifically named in the lawsuit.