The UHV Guarantee is a financial aid opportunity that awaits qualified new freshmen and sophomores from outside the Victoria area* whose families meet federally certified income requirements. Any UHV student, regardless of family income, from outside the Victoria area may qualify for a UHV Guarantee Scholarship. Students who received the UHV Guarantee in 2013-2014 must meet certain criteria to renew the Guarantee for future years. The UHV Guarantee covers tuition and fees during only the fall and spring semesters.
In fall 2013, eligible recipients whose families have a documented annual income of $50,000 or less may have 100 percent of their tuition and fees covered by federal, state and/or university aid while they are pursuing their bachelor’s degree at UHV. Those whose families have annual incomes from $50,001 to $90,000 may have 50 percent of their tuition and fees covered, and those with family incomes of more than $90,000 may receive up to a $1,000 UHV Guarantee Scholarship.
For example, if a student’s and parents' adjusted gross income is $45,000, the total financial aid package could include a federal Pell Grant, a TEXAS Grant, a Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG) and a UHV Guarantee Scholarship covering up to 100 percent of tuition and fees.
To be eligible for the UHV Guarantee in fall 2013 or spring 2014 as a new UHV freshman or sophomore, a student must be:
- A Texas resident from outside the Victoria area* pursuing an undergraduate degree
Eligible to receive federal, state and/or university aid as verified by submission of a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who do not qualify for federal financial aid may still be eligible to receive a UHV Guarantee Scholarship. Such students should complete the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) to determine if they qualify for state and institutional funds.
- Taking face-to-face classes on the Victoria campus at UHV and enrolled full time (12 semester credit hours) at UHV each semester
✓ Freshmen – 12 hours face-to-face
✓ Sophomores – at least 9 hours face-to-face plus 3 more hours either face-to-face or online
To continue to remain eligible for scholarship support under the UHV Guarantee in spring 2014 (after receiving it as a new UHV freshman or sophomore in fall 2013), a student must:
- Enroll in at least 12 credit hours
- Maintain a minimum grade-point average of 2.0
In addition to the above criteria, students who wish to continue receiving the UHV Guarantee after qualifying for it for one year must:
- Remain in good academic standing each semester (minimum UHV 2.0 overall grade-point average)
- Complete at least 24 semester credit hours at UHV per academic year (which includes summer)
- Enroll in at least 9 hours face-to-face plus 3 more hours either face-to-face or online as sophomores each fall and spring semester
- Enroll in at least 6 hours face-to-face plus 6 more either face-to-face or online as juniors or seniors each fall and spring semester
- Complete 67 percent of original course load each semester, not to exceed 180 attempted hours
Steps to Receive the UHV Guarantee for the 2013-2014 Academic Year
- Apply for admission to UHV (second-year students do not need to reapply).
- Complete the 2013-14 FAFSA.
- Review the “To-Do” list for required documents at MyUHV and submit them in person to the Office of Financial Aid (Room 110, University West), by fax (361-580-5555) or by e-mail (email@example.com).
- Check your UHV student e-mail account frequently for information regarding your financial aid status.
- Accept your grant and scholarship awards in the Financial Aid section of MyUHV.
For more information about the UHV Guarantee, renewal requirements and all other financial aid opportunities, call the Office of Financial Aid at (361) 570-4125 or toll free at (877) 970-4848, ext. 4125.
*The UHV Guarantee is not available to students from Victoria, Calhoun, DeWitt and Lavaca counties and portions of Gonzales, Jackson and Refugio counties.