All international students on F-1 and J-1 visa are required to arrive to the institution that you have received the U.S. visa before the listed date as the start date on your immigration document. If you are planning to arrive late, you will need prior approval from the Office of International Programs to arrive later than the listed date on your immigration document (I-20 or DS2019)
For an international student to study at University of Houston – Victoria (UHV), there are a variety of special requirements to fulfill that need careful attention prior to arriving on campus. Please read the information below that includes the necessary steps to follow to become an UHV student. Please note: Due to Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations you can only arrive 30-days prior to your start date listed on your I-20 or DS2019. The start date is listed on section 5 of the I-20 and section 3 on your DS2019 Please do not enter the US under F-1 visa before 30-days of your start date. If you have questions regarding your arrival, please email Office of International Programs.
Next Steps (Please see below for more information under each section):
- Wait to receive your I-20/DS2019
- Make the SEVIS Payment
- Visit the U.S. Embassy website of your country and apply for U.S. visa (gather all the documents)
- Once you have secured the U.S. visa follow the next steps
- Reserve Housing
- Reserve your airline (please check the start date/orientation date before you reserve your flight and your travel arrangements)
- Prepare your funding
- Course registration (we strongly recommend you to wait until you receive your U.S. visa)
- Immunization and Health Insurance
All new entering international and transfer international students are Required to read all the necessary information listed below.