Staff Employee of the Month Guidelines
- recognize service, leadership, and cooperation at the staff level
- increase employee morale
- increase awareness/appreciation of staff member contributions
- restructure the selection process for Staff Employee of the Year
- gain additional exposure for UHV through newspaper publicity of the Staff Employee of The Month
- A five (5) person nominating committee will be formed with representation from Non-Exempt Staff, Exempt Staff, Student Senate, current Staff Employee of the Year, and Faculty Senate. The committee serves for a one year term. The Staff Council (Exempt and Non-Exempt), Faculty Senate, and Student Senate will select new representatives for the committee in February. Members are selected for the nominating committee on a voluntary basis. If more than one person volunteers to fill one position, then a vote is taken by the represented group.
- If the “current Staff Employee of the Year” retires or resigns after receiving the award, the Staff Council Executive Committee will decide who the “current Staff Employee of the Year” representative will be on the committee. They will make their selection from the winners of the Staff Employee of the Month from the previous year.
- The Human Resources Director will coordinate the program. This includes collecting the nominations and forwarding them to the Nominating Committee each month for a vote.
- Nominations will be made every month via email. The email is sent to the Human Resources Director by the 20th of each month.
- The Staff Council Executive Committee will review the Kudos/Brags that are received each month. If they meet the criteria of the Staff Employee of the Month guidelines, they will be forwarded to the Human Resources Director.
- Nominations will be forwarded to the supervisor of the nominee for additional comments before sending to the Nominating Committee for a vote.
- The Human Resources Director will send the nominations received each month along with a ballot to the committee via email. The nominations will be reviewed individually by each committee member, and each committee member will mark the ballot with their vote (e.g. 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, etc.). It is very important that each nomination be ranked in case there is a tie. Each committee member will send their votes to the Human Resources Director who will compile the votes for a winner.
- If a member of the nominating committee is nominated, then that member will not vote that month.
- If there is only one eligible nomination, then that nominee is selected automatically as the Staff Employee of the Month. However, efforts will be made, including extending deadlines for receiving nominations so there will always be more than one nominee.
- If the #1 choice for Staff Employee of the Month declines or has asked not to be considered, then #2 choice is the Staff Employee of the Month.
- The winner will be announced via email.
- Only benefits eligible staff employees working 20 hours or more are eligible for the award. This does not include faculty or members of President’s Cabinet. Eligible employees will have completed 6 months of employment before being eligible to receive the award.
- An employee can only win the award once each calendar year.
Winner for Staff Employee of the Month:
- The winner will receive a $50 Gift Certificate of their choice. (An annual sum of $600.00 has been allocated from the President’s Office cost center.)
- A news release and photo will be sent to the area media, and a UHV display will feature the employee in the University West Building. The winner will also receive a framed certificate signed by the President. The Staff Employee of the Month winner will be on the university web site on the HR Web page, and will be featured on electronic marquees located around the university.
Criteria and Winner of Staff Employee of the Year:
- All twelve winners will be candidates for the “Staff Employee of the Year” award in February of the following year unless the winners have resigned during this year.
- The Staff Employee of the Year will receive a $500.00 check, a plaque and a t-shirt. A news release and photo of the winner will be sent to the area media. A UHV display will feature the employee in the University West building. The Staff Employee of the Year winner will be on the university web site on the HR Web page, and will be featured on electronic marquees located around the university.
Guidelines for the Staff Employee of the Month will be posted on the web.