University Of Houston-Victoria
Course Online Syllabus
|Department||QMSC||Course Number||6351||Section Number||24055|
|Name of Course||Stats & Research Methods|
|Name of Instructor||Yang,Jie|
This information may not constitute all course policies; students are responsible for all course requirements established by their instructors during the semester and all institutional policies as established in the UHV student handbook.
As a result of this course, students will
- Present data using tabular and graphical approaches and Prepare data using basic numerical descriptive statistical measures.
- Comprehend how different sampling plans and the sampling distribution of a sample statistic are used in business.
- Use statistical inference techniques, such as hypothesis testing about a population mean, population proportion, and about means and proportions with two populations.
- Analyze and interpret results of a regression analysis in a variety of settings, such as marketing, management, economics, finance and accounting.
- Use Excel in statistical analysis.
|Group Case Studies||20%|
Anderson, Sweeney, & Williams, Modern Business Statistics with Microsoft Office Excel,4th ed., ISBN 0538479752.
No additional readings have been recommended for this course.
List of Discussion/Lecture Topics
- Data and Statistics
- Descriptive Statistics: Numerical Measures
- Discrete Probability Distributions
- Continuous Probability Distributions
- Exam 1 (Ch 1, 3, 5, 6)
- Sampling and Sampling Distributions
- Interval Estimation
- Hypothesis Tests
- Spring Break
- Exam 2 (Ch 7, 8, 9)
- Simple Linear Regression (Ch 14: sections 1-3, 6)
- Multiple Regression
- Statistical Methods for Quality Control
- Decision Analysis
- Individual project session with Adobe Connect 11am-noon (Monday and Wednesday)
- Final Exam (Ch 14, 15, 19, 20)