University Of Houston-Victoria
Course Online Syllabus
|Department||MGMT||Course Number||4305||Section Number||23951|
|Name of Course||Leadership|
|Name of Instructor||Rauniar,Rupak|
This information may not constitute all course policies; students are responsible for all course requirements established by their instructors during the semester and all institutional policies as established in the UHV student handbook.
As a result of this course, students will
- be able to understand the terms, concepts and research necessary to gain a more complete understanding of the art of leadership.
- be able to understand the importance of the application of ethical behavior in leadership situations
- be able to explain and apply the current views and techniques currently expressed regarding leadership styles and practices
- be able to explain and apply communication techniques in order to improve teambuilding skills.
- be able to evaluate and make decisions with regard to leadership approaches through the use of case studies and discussions
|Tests (3 x 10 %)||30%|
Lussier & Achua, Leadership: Theory, Application, & Skill Development,4th ed., ISBN 0324596553.
Assigned articles would be posted on the course blackboard. Students would be required to purchase 2 case studies and one Teaching Note (article) from Harvard Business School Publishing website. The link for the course pack, where you will find these three materials, is : http://cb.hbsp.harvard.edu/cb/access/11737713 If you do not have an account with HBSP already, you will be first required to create a student account in order to purchase these materials.
No additional readings have been recommended for this course.
List of Discussion/Lecture Topics
- Chapter 1: Who is Leader
- Chapter 2: Leadership Trats and Ethics
- Chapter 3: Leadership Behavior and Motivation
- Chapter 4: Influencing -Power, Politics, Networking, and Negotiation
- Chapter 5: Contingency Leadership Theories
- Chapter 7: Leader-Follower Relations
- ***SPRING BREAK***
- Chapter 8: Team Leadership and Self-Managed Teams
- Chapter 9: Charismatic and Transformational Leadership
- Chapter 10: Leadership for Culture, Ethics, and Diversity
- Chapter 11: Strategic Leadership and Change Management