University Of Houston-Victoria
Course Online Syllabus
|Department||HCAD||Course Number||4354||Section Number||23930|
|Name of Course||Economics for Healthcare|
|Name of Instructor||Chen,Chien-Ping|
This information may not constitute all course policies; students are responsible for all course requirements established by their instructors during the semester and all institutional policies as established in the UHV student handbook.
As a result of this course, students will
- identify the important economic issues in the U.S. healthcare industry
- comprehend the economic concepts and tools that can be used to better understand health care related issues in the U.S.
- comprehend the relationship between healthcare production and its cost structure
- understand the likely consequences of government regulation/reform on the healthcare industry
- evaluate market competition on the operation and performance of the healthcare industry
- develop a teamwork to analyze opportunity and weakness for the current healthcare industry
|Healthcare Industry Analysis Term Paper (Individual Assignment)||15%|
|Discussion Board (DB) Participation||20%|
|Homework Assignments (Individual Assignment)||15%|
Santerre & Neun, Health Economics: Theory, Insights, and Industry Studies,5th ed., ISBN 0-324-78907-6.
No additional readings have been recommended for this course.
List of Discussion/Lecture Topics
- Healthcare: An Economic Perspective and Cost/Benefit Analysis
- Demand for Medical Care
- Medical Insurance
- Medical Care Production and Costs
- Market Analysis
- Adobe Connect Review Session at 8:00pm on 3/1 (Thu)
- Government and Medical Care
- Spring Break
- Government as Health Insurer
- Private Health Insurance
- Physician Services
- Hospital Services
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Adobe Connect Review Session at 8:00pm on 4/26 (Thu)