University Of Houston-Victoria
Course Online Syllabus
|Department||FINC||Course Number||3321||Section Number||23895|
|Name of Course||Capital Markets|
|Name of Instructor||Al Nasser,Omar Maher|
This information may not constitute all course policies; students are responsible for all course requirements established by their instructors during the semester and all institutional policies as established in the UHV student handbook.
As a result of this course, students will
- Working knowledge of domestic and international financial markets - especially financial institutions, forces impacting financial markets, level and structure of interest rates, financial innovations and regulatory trends;
- Understanding of current domestic and international issues in the financial system, and achievement of a state of knowledge that will support critical appraisal of arguments about such issues;
- Understanding of the role of portfolio investment in financial organizations and conceptual and analytical tools available to manage risk; and,
- Understanding of the global nature of financial markets, the importance of country participants, and the role of international organizations operating in the financial markets.
|Chapter Quizzes||20 points|
|Discussion Board Participation||10 points|
|Midterm Exam||25 points|
|Final Exam||25 points|
|Investment Game||20 points|
Jeff Madura, Financial Markets and Institutions, Abridged Edition, 9th Edition,9th Edition ed., ISBN 0538482494.
I strongly recommended that every business student should have a good quality financial calculator. The quizzes assignments and tests that require calculations will be much easier and less time consuming if you become proficient with a good quality financial calculator. For my F2F classes I recommend the Texas Instruments BA-II Plus. Many of the exam problems involve financial calculations - a financial calculator is necessary to solve them. The Texas Instruments BA-II Plus is a popular financial calculator for business professionals and students. It allows users to take advantage of all the same time-saving financial functions. With Time-Value-of-Money, cash flow analysis, and advanced statistics, the Texas Instruments BA-II Plus is perfect for applications in finance, accounting, economics, investment, statistics, and more.
No additional readings have been recommended for this course.
List of Discussion/Lecture Topics
- Role of Financial Markets
- Determination of Interest Rates
- Functions of the Fed
- Monetary Policy
- Money Markets
- Bond Markets
- Midterm Exam
- Bond Valuation and Risk
- Spring Break
- Mortgage Markets
- Stock Offerings and Investor Monitoring
- Stock Valuation and Risk
- Market Microstructure and Strategies
- Commercial Bank Operations
- Bank Regulations
- Final Exam, Final Investment Game Report Due