University Of Houston-Victoria
Course Online Syllabus
|Department||MGMT||Course Number||4305||Section Number||23701|
|Name of Course||Leadership|
|Name of Instructor||Chapa,Olga|
This information may not constitute all course policies; students are responsible for all course requirements established by their instructors during the semester and all institutional policies as established in the UHV student handbook.
As a result of this course, students will
- To demonstrate the ability to work effectively with team members.
- To demonstrate effective skills in reading, writing and oral presentation and use computer technology.
- To understand the complex nature of leadership within an organizational context
- To understand present and evolving theories of leadership and demonstrate an ability to integrate the theoretical approaches to leadership in analyzing and solving problems.
- To understand ethical issues and responsibilities facing leaders.
- To understand leadership styles and the implications associated with these styles.
Lussier & Achua, Leadership: Theory, Application, & Skill Development,4th ed., ISBN 0324596553.
You will need to purchase the package of seven vignette-type ethical cases at a price of no more than $10.00. You will receive more details regarding these materials once the semester begins.
No additional readings have been recommended for this course.
List of Discussion/Lecture Topics
- Who is a Leader?
- Leadership Traits and Ethics
- Leadership Behavior and Motivation
- Influencing, Power, Politics, Networking and Negotiation
- Charismatic and Transformational Leadership
- Project Week
- Mid-term Exam
- Spring Break
- Leader-Follower Relations
- Team Leadership & Self-Managed Teams
- Ethic Vignettes Week - In Class Assignments
- Leadership of Culture, Ethics and Diversity
- Strategic Leadership & Change Management
- Crisis, Leadership and the Learning Organization
- Group Project Due
- Final Exam