University Of Houston-Victoria
Course Online Syllabus
|Department||EDEN||Course Number||6355||Section Number||23543|
|Name of Course||Eco Dvlpmt & Entrepnl Finance|
|Name of Instructor||Kagochi,John M|
This information may not constitute all course policies; students are responsible for all course requirements established by their instructors during the semester and all institutional policies as established in the UHV student handbook.
As a result of this course, students will
- Critically examine the link between financing and economic development.
- Research and develop a grant proposal linked to an economic development project.
- Understand the financial resources and options available for economic development.
- Analyze existing development projects establishment, trajectory and sustainability.
|Case Study Analysis||20%|
|Project Financing Plan and Grant Proposal||30%|
Karl F. Seidman, Economic Development Finance,1st ed., ISBN 978-0761927099.
No additional readings have been recommended for this course.
List of Discussion/Lecture Topics
- Business Finance Overview
- Introduction to Capital Markets, Capital Market Imperfections and Financing Gaps
- Markets and Financing - Private Interventions
- Markets and Financing - Community Interventions
- Program Models -Revolving Loan Funds
- Program Models -Venture Capital
- Program Models -Community Development Credit Unions, Community Development Loan Programs
- Program Models: Microenterprise Development
- Federal Programs - SBA Programs, CDFI Fund, HUD 108 Program, Office of Community Services, New Market Tax Credits
- Issues in Program Management: Marketing and Origination, Underwriting and Structuring Investments, Servicing and Portfolio Management
- Municipal Finance Tools I: Municipal Debt Industrial Development Bond
- Municipal Finance Tools: Municipal Debt Industrial Development Bond, Tax Increment Financing Assessment Districts and BIDS
- Course Conclusion