University Of Houston-Victoria
Course Online Syllabus
|Department||ECON||Course Number||6351||Section Number||19100|
|Name of Course||Economics for Managers|
|Name of Instructor||Chen,Chien-Ping|
This information may not constitute all course policies; students are responsible for all course requirements established by their instructors during the semester and all institutional policies as established in the UHV student handbook.
As a result of this course, students will
- comprehend the fundamental economic problem of scarcity, the fundamental economic questions, and the idea of opportunity cost and comparative advantage;
- comprehend marginal utility theory and the concept of the price elasticity of demand; to apply the supply and demand analysis tool to determine the main influences on market equilibrium;
- comprehend a relationship between a firms production and its cost structure;
- comprehend a firms decision-making on input and output and to analyze an overall industrial performance in the four basic market structures (perfect competition, monopoly, monopolistic competition, and oligopoly);
- use the major macroeconomic indicators (GDP, CPI, inflation rate, unemployment rate, and government deficit) to measure the performance of economy and the business cycle;
- apply the aggregate supply and aggregate demand analysis to determine the macroeconomic equilibrium and to predict the effects of fiscal and monetary policy.
|Industry Analysis Term Paper (Team Assignment)||15%|
|Discussion Board Participation (Team Assignment)||15%|
|Homework Assignments (Individual Assignment)||20%|
Schiller, Bradley R., Essentials of Economics,8th ed., ISBN 0073511390.
No additional readings have been recommended for this course.
List of Discussion/Lecture Topics
- The Challenge of Economics
- The U.S. Economy and International Trade
- Supply and Demand
- Consumer Demand and Supply Decisions
- Competition and Monopoly
- Business Cycle and Aggregate Supply-Demand
- Fiscal Policy
- Money and Banks & Monetary Policy