Student Rights and Responsibilities


Informal Grievance Procedure

Student Affairs staff want to provide an atmosphere and a forum through which a non-academically related complaint or grievance can be pursued by any currently enrolled UHV student. Students may meet informally with the Director of Student Life and Services regarding a nonacademic grievance or complaint. It is hoped that most grievances will be resolved at this level. However, if after exhausting the informal options for resolving a grievance, a student still believes that a satisfactory resolution has not been reached, the student may file a formal non-academic grievance under the guidelines listed below.

Complaints or grievances regarding student organizations should proceed through the appropriate student organization (, appeals/grievance process. Each student organization’s bylaws describe appropriate processes/procedures for that organization. If students have issues with student organization processes/procedures, they should refer to the appropriate student organization bylaws on the web at

Formal Grievance Procedure

Formal grievances of a non-academic nature may be filed by any currently enrolled student and must be directed, in writing, to the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs who, in turn, may refer the matter to the Student Grievance Committee. If the student and Associate Vice President of Student Affairs can reach a mutually agreeable resolution, the grievance will not be forwarded to the grievance committee.

The grievance must, in the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs opinion: (1) involve palpable issues and evidence capable of sustaining rational argument and (2) be filed within one term (fall, summer, or spring) of the alleged occurrence leading to initiation of the formal grievance.

If the two conditions noted above are met, the student should petition the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs in writing, specifying the action requested and explaining the basis for the request. Any documents or materials considered relevant should be cited or submitted. The Associate Vice President of Student Affairs will respond within ten (10) working days of receipt of the written grievance.

Upon notification of the relevant parties, the process will unfold as follows:

The Student Grievance Committee appointed by the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs (comprised of the President of Student Senate, a faculty senate representative, the Staff Council Chair, and 2 students) will examine the grievance and supporting evidence and will establish a meeting time when the relevant parties can attend. The committee will follow applicable procedures as outlined in the Student Grievance Procedure section.

The student and others may be asked to appear separately or together, at the committee’s discretion.

The student may bring one person to witness the hearing, but the person is not to participate unless called upon. (If the person is to be an attorney, the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs must be informed at least two days in advance of the hearing).

The student may have others submit testimony in person or in writing.

A person(s) named in the grievance may also have others submit testimony.

Following the hearing of the grievance, the committee will deliberate and reach a judgment advisory to the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs. As convener of the committee, the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs will be a non-voting member.

Within ten working days of the committee decision, the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs will send a written notice of the decision to the student, person(s) named in the grievance and the Provost.

Findings of the Student Grievance Committee may be appealed to the President of UHV whose decision will be final.