Grounds and landscaping efforts
- We have changed from diesel mowers to gasoline mulching mowers, and are testing propane mowers on October 3rd.
- The mulching recycles grass clippings back to the soil to decompose into nutrients and fertilizers. One (1) acre of lawn clipping can produce 242 lbs of nitrogen 224 lbs of potash and 76 lbs of phosphate per year. Mulched grass feeds beneficial insects; the presence of beneficial insects reduces the necessity for pest control. Mulched grass lessens fertilizer needs and reduces thatch build up. We are moving towards eliminating our demand for mulch, which has an increasing carbon footprint. We now chip up tree limbs and trimmings to produce compost and mulch to be used on grounds. Compost will cut down on fertilizer and water and also feed beneficial insects.
- Changed to Stihl 4 mix weed eaters edger's and blowers. These meet California air emissions standards the highest in the nation.
- We are currently trying out a weed eater and blower that are cordless battery powered.
- Have changed to Green chemicals.
- Now use Bioorganic an organic insect control.
- Now use Neem oil an organic fungicide.
- Now use Bone and Blood meal an organic fertilizer for plants.
- Medina soil activator increases the performance and quantity of microbes which convert nutrients into food for plants and loosens and mellows compacted soils. Allows more water and oxygen to enter soil. Microbes control disease and pest and weeds.
- Now use Milorganite an organic nitrogen fertilizer.
- We have not purchased any mulch since September of 2007 as a result of our chipper shredder trimming activities. (our trimming activities has yielded over 300 cubic yards of limbs this spring that would have gone to the land fill).
- We have not purchased fertilizer since June of 2008 as a result of our composting activities.
Dates & Events
VBEC Board meeting - 4/24/2014
Seventh Annual UHV Spring Nursing Forum - 4/25/2014
Baseball @ (RV) LSU - Alexandria - 4/25/2014
FR Registration Day - 4/26/2014
Baseball @ (RV) LSU - Alexandria - 4/26/2014