Administration & Finance Directors Meeting
Minutes 1/17/06

Attendees:
1. Wayne B. Beran, Vice President for Admin & Finance 5. Michael Ruland, Director, Facilities Services
2. Greg Fanelli, Director, Business Services 6. Toni Wyer, Comptroller
3. Joe Ferguson, Director, Information Technology 7. Carolyn Mallory, Financial Aid - Sick Leave
4. Darlene Pullin, Budget Director 8.  Karen Boldt, Recorder  
    9. Eric Mims - Guest
Agenda Items:
1. Spam Blocking - Eric
2. Pending Agreement with City for Greenhouse Use - Greg
3. Fraud Awareness DVD For Managers - Greg
4. Update on Budget Development Module and testing - Darlene
5. Update: Collections with Windham - Toni
6. Budget preparation guidance - Michael
7. Status of SkillSoft Training System acquisition - Joe
8. UH Chief Information Officer (CIO) search - Joe
9. President's Cabinet Retreat - Wayne
10. Update on UHS@SL Building - Wayne
11. Continue to discuss cost savings and efficiencies - Wayne

New Business:

1.    Eric Mims discussed how Spam is being blocked by two servers, Mail and Mail 3 Servers.  Spam blocking began in Fall 2004 using PureMessage software provided through UHS license.  PureMessage blocks certain known files; however, Eric monitors much of the spam that is received.  Eric provided graphs and details on how much spam is blocked from the various attendee's mailboxes as well as statistics for the entire university.  After January there will be more spam filtering built in and the user will be able to set up how to quarantine files in Outlook.

2.  Greg informed directors that the city has agreed to allow UHV to use the greenhouse for the biology students.  An agreement has been sent to UHS.  UHV may need to put up a security fence around the greenhouse.

3.    Greg sent out a memo regarding institutional compliance to departments asking the departments to make any corrections and return them with comment by the end of the month.  Greg stated that he attended a FERPA training and brought back a DVD concerning fraud that may be useful for employee viewing.

4.    Darlene stated that the PeopleSoft Budget module is undergoing testing and training.  She and Krystal have attended several sessions and will more to attend during February.  The target date for production is at the end of February.  Wayne asked Darlene to check to see if anyone knows of another agency that uses zero-based budgeting.  Wayne would like to use Finance as a test to see how zero-based budgeting will work.  Darlene also stated that she is working on developing job code tables. 

Wayne asked Darlene to work up the budget calendar and schedule by February 1st.

5.    Toni stated that 185 students have been sent to Wyndham, UHV's collection agency.  There have been a few complaints regarding Wyndham customer service, however, the complaints have not been substantiated at this point.  She and Greg will continue to monitor any complaints received.

6.    Michael asked if units should prepare zero-based budgeting this year.  Wayne stated that zero-based budgeting was not happening this year and that the budget hearings for FY2007 will continue as previously conducted.

7.    Joe gave an update on the status of SkillSoft Training System which will be purchased for use by UHV employees.  The contract was sent to UH Legal for review.  Joe said he had a meeting with the training representative and they will have to set up specifics for the institution; i.e. what they consider completion of a course.

8.    Joe stated that he was serving on the Chief Information Officer Search Committee at UHS.  Dennis Fouty, Interim CIO, will be appointed as the new Chief Information Officer at UHS.

9.    Wayne gave an overview of the President's Cabinet retreat held at the Lighthouse Inn in Rockport.  Wayne stated that the Cabinet focused on enrollment growth through various programs including international cooperatives.  One way may be to look at changing programs from 16 to 8 weeks.

10.  Wayne stated that he is still working on trying to get a Build to Suit Lease Agreement signed with WCJC.  He believes President Betty McCrohan will sign the agreement as recently amended and then the agreement will be presented to the Board of Regents for approval.  Wayne is still hopeful that the Legislature will approve TRB funds for the Sugar Land building.

Round Table:

 

Back